ive got $5000 to spend, what should I get?

im going to get $5000 in july. Right now I have the Canon HV40, a rode NTG-2, and a beachtek adapter so I can plug the NTG into my HV40.

right now im just focused on making a youtube series. I need lights, but I also want the best quality possible. What do you think I should get and are there any cameras coming out? Or since im just shooting a youtube series do you think the HV40 is good enough? I dont know anything about lenses either, so if I buy a new camera i probably want a decent lens on it. thanks

Get a decent audio recorder (PMD-661, FR-2, HD-P2) and a hypercardioid mic. If you don't already have them, a boom-pole, shock-mount, good cables, cases, etc. of good quality are needed.

Your project will only look as good as it sounds.

Sound is half of the experience.

im going to get $5000 in july. Right now I have the Canon HV40, a rode NTG-2, and a beachtek adapter so I can plug the NTG into my HV40.

right now im just focused on making a youtube series. I need lights, but I also want the best quality possible. What do you think I should get and are there any cameras coming out? Or since im just shooting a youtube series do you think the HV40 is good enough? I dont know anything about lenses either, so if I buy a new camera i probably want a decent lens on it. thanks

RJB - I'd invest in story and actors (if appropriate), before I'd invest in anything else.

After that, I'd invest in lighting, sound and support. Alcove Audio had good advice on sound - on lighting - I recommend a $206 soft light set with black, white and green backdrops. This will set you up for money-saving chromakey visual effects. On support, I recommend a solid and inexpensive bowl-type fluid head tripod and dolly. You can get an inexpensive slider and jib later.

Talented actors in well lit scenes with clean sound and a stable camera on a tripod/dolly or slider will differentiate you from 90% of the junk on YouTube.

Only after you have all of that taken care of should you think about a new camera and lenses.

Just my opinion, but I hope it is helpful,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with Bill. Get a good bowl-type fluid head. It will make any camera look better.

But you might consider spending money on a better camera rather than more lights. If you get a Cannon 5D Mark III, you can use fewer lights.

Here is a screenshot from a documentary I'm shooting about German and Japanese Internment camps in the U.S. during WWII.

yae.png

I shot this on the 5D at 3200 ISO, 4.0f and 1/50th shutter. The light was from a window from the left of frame and a single china ball above and slightly to the right (with a 100 watt bulb).

It was shot at 24fps - 1080p - and when the shot is blown up, you still don't see the noise.

This kind of low light capability makes quick lighting jobs much easier. I was a one man band and had to be in, camera and sound set, lit and ready to go in 15 minutes.

I never could do that with an old video shoot.

Yeah I would say that you want a DSLR rather than the HV40. I have owned that camera and while it is great, it yields you from experiencing nice depth of field. Also as far as lights go, check out this Film Riot episode http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUSrpcGf3gc&list=UU6P24bhhCmMPOcujA9PKPTA&index=7&feature=plcp -- He talks about a lot of great lights in that vid. The NTG-2 is great so you should be ok. Your gonna need a nice fluid head (perhaps Manfrotto) Definitely get a good recorder like Alcove said. You should also think about the little things like clamps, C stands, boom pole, etc.

So yeah, think about that.

You have all the eqt you will need. YES what you have will be more than enough to do a YTube series. Spend the money networking, feeding talent and crew ( hiring people to help ??)

Do you want to buy stuff that you will rarely use or focus on quality ??? many here suggest networking to build valuable relationships. You cannot do it alone..I'm a one-man production outfit myself. I have learned a lot from doing it that way and I have spent major bucks on eqt.

Bottom line. You can use the funds to hire people who are artists in their field ( sound, DOP, editing and the like ) and you will have a far superior product at the end of it. That wil get you farther than buying all the eqt and letting most of it depreciate fast...( OK Sound eqt not so much )

I have all my eqt because I produce commercials and web videos for some money on the side. My goal creatively is to utilize the help of others to realize my creative vision. In order to create good stuff, you will need help. the choice is yours . Do you want to create higher end stuff or struggle and have all the tools one person cannot easily use creatively ??

Good Luck and be creative !!

Back