It's all just so daunting!

So, I am a complete newbie to filmmaking, but I have recently finished a full-length script (working on edits/revisions), and it's something I really want to get made. I want to be able to get actors and hire a bare minimum crew and an editor for post-production, as well as find some financing, however, I have no idea how to go about all this. The more I read about it, the more daunting it all seems. I want to make this film and, hopefully, get it into some festivals. Any advice on how to go about all this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! :)

I suggest doing some short films first to get some practice and experience. Because if you're just a "newbie" and you're already making a feature film, it might not be good if it's your first time. So getting some practice with smaller films would prepare you for a bigger scale project like this one.

But that being said, are you gonna be directing this feature? If you're just the writer, you can find TONS of experienced directors and producers out there who will be willing to help you out with your film (granted that your script is amazing and they loved it). But if you're also the director, get some friends together and ask who wants to help out with this project. I'd also suggest having an experienced producer to help you out organize the project (if it's only a short film, you're fine being your own producer). That being said, no producer would help you out on a project if the script is bad. So make sure to polish your script, get feedback from everybody, not only your friends (this site is great at getting feedback on screenplays) and be passionate about the film. Because if you're passionate about what you're doing, everything will fall right through.

Good luck! :)

The filmmaking process is a rather large octopus to wrangle.

First - just go ahead and start whatever filing system you find most efficient & practical, paper or online, and start writing out all the half thought out ideas for different films you have.
DO NOT get married to a single piece and insist that nothing else gets done before completing it.
Some projects are best shelved until a later date and time when you have access to the proper budget/equipment/talent/location resources to do it justice.
Nolan sat on INCEPTION for a decade.
Cameron sat on AVATAR for even longer.
If they can do it then...
Write/direct/produce the ones you can do well, not the one you WANT to do the most.

Second - budget for equipment, costumes, props, locations, cast & crew is the Achilles heel of all creative filmmaker types.
For some irrational reason too many nube filmmakers believe money (representing the labor of others) just pours out of the clear blue sky to fund their art interests/hobby.
Um... no.
Is anybody going to pay for you to pack your bags, fly to the Yucatan, party for a week, and fly home? Nope. Pretty much the same thing.

Therefore, think about the budget/equipment/talent/location resources you actually do have and those you might be able to get and those you would pay for - with the understanding you'll likely be throwing money down a hole just as if you took a vacation - and write accordingly.

Strongly consider both exactly who the audience is for the project/product - and - where & how your film project/product will be distributed to them to enjoy or be entertained by.
Know your film's genre(s). Know how those watchers will be watching it.
The answers to these two questions will dictate all sorts of considerations and criteria to satisfy as writing and pre-production begin.

Also, justinisfilming is right on: make some practice shorts.
Each one will have different challenges teaching you different things.
You will be better off making five three minute shorts than three five minute shorts, and a lot better off than making a single fifteen minute short.

Good luck.
Have fun.
Everyone's having a blast until someone loses an eye. :lol: ;)

As a fellow noob, I can only recommend following their advice and make a bunch of shorts. everything I have done so far is purely for experience. I make a 1 minute flick and notice the sound needs work, I make another and notice the lighting is off, another and I notice that it gets out of focus somewhat. When you make one that you are happy with, make another, and another and another, until you are consistently happy with your work, and then make some more.

My advice is to shelve the feature for now. For one, you won't enjoy filming, due to the stress associated with trying to perfect something with no experience. For another, this script, being your first, is likely to be very close to you. If you try to shoot your baby (unintentional dark humour) straight away, you'll waste time and be doubly disappointed with it. First thing you should do is shoot some shorts. Shoot one, take a look at what needs improving. Could be audio or lighting or camera-work or whatever. Figure out how to improve it, and do so in your next short. If it works, move onto the next thing that needs improving, and follow the same process. If it doesn't work, try something else to improve it, and keep doing so until you're happy. Once you're happy with all elements, keep making shorts. Until you've got a string of shorts you're completely happy with, leave the feature on the shelf.

Back