It's 2005 and still no cure for cancer or AIDS

What in the hell is taking so long, and why aren't the world's governments making this a higher priority considering all the people who die of these illnesses daily?

Because they already have the cure it's called population control. No i really don't know i hope it's not really that. But hey come on we have wirless internet, man on the moon, and no cure hmmmmmm?

vegasindiestv said:
Because they already have the cure it's called population control. No i really don't know i hope it's not really that. But hey come on we have wirless internet, man on the moon, and no cure hmmmmmm?
That's an interesting point. Maybe the rumors are true. They don't find cures for these diseases because there is more money in making the treatments. Technology is booming at an incredible rate because new technologies make lots of green stuffs. It's too bad medical research isn't growing as fast. :rolleyes:

so many people around me have died from cancer or are dying of it that i wonder how long until im next. what does this have to do with film btw? are you trying to make us feel guilty that we arn't in our home labs trying to make a cure?

Very true cinema, Money talks everything else walks. I'm sure it will happen, cause rememeber, if they find a cure for Cancer, and aids they still make some money. So lets hope.

P.S and Lux, I'm sure hes not trying to make you feel bad but sometimes it's good to chat about whats going on in the world. I don't think IndieTalk is going to ban this thread just because we talk about cures. A little deep talk won't hurt the minds. Good topic cinema.

Hey Cinema just curious what brought this topic?

Oh there have been some amazing leaps in medical technology! It's not very still at all! AIDS is one of those things that's just a pain to decipher. One of these days a cure will be found but it isn't easy. It's a very, very complex problem and often we just don't have the technology in other areas to allow us to cure these sorts of things.

Whoa.. a political conversation.

I always tell people how serious HIV is. 48 Million people worldwide. nearly 600,000 in the US alone.

for the US its 1 in 400 people have HIV. Thats a huge percentage. but in the world its 1/140 ratio.

can you imagine that? 1 in 140 people on the planet earth have HIV.

how much money is being made for research. what makes more money.. research funding or having a cure and making it cheap for everyone to have.

Sad World! :hmm:

Whats terrible is a PSA running on some of our local radio stations. they are saying that the fastest growing group to contract AIDS is Highschool kids. that is so tragic. :(

I don't want to have only bummer news, I also heard a report of a guy being cured of Diabeties. By having some pancrias(SP) cells injected into his liver or something like that. If they can figure out how to cure that wretched disease it would be great.

Mike :)

lux said:
are you trying to make us feel guilty that we arn't in our home labs trying to make a cure?
Yep. :tongue:

vegasindiestv said:
Hey Cinema just curious what brought this topic?
It seems like you hear about someone dying of cancer almost everyday. Cancer and AIDS is a bigger threat than terrorism is right now, and more people are dying of both, but neither seem to be at the top of the "things to fix" list.

Shaw said:
Oh there have been some amazing leaps in medical technology! It's not very still at all! AIDS is one of those things that's just a pain to decipher. One of these days a cure will be found but it isn't easy. It's a very, very complex problem and often we just don't have the technology in other areas to allow us to cure these sorts of things.
Our governments should put more money into getting the technology then.

What in the hell is taking so long, and why aren't the world's governments making this a higher priority considering all the people who die of these illnesses daily?

Well, one reasons that might be worth considering is the fact the fact that numbers of students choosing to study science is decreasing to the point that university science departments in the UK are being closed down.

Media and film studies however are up by 7%. So, the big picture answer is that we are the reason, by choosing to pursue careers in the media rather than studying science we've decreased the chances of a cure being found.

It's too easy to point the finger at governments for not achieving the things we want and a lot harder to accept some level of personal responsibility.

But... but... I'm too stupid to study anything other than art! :cry:

There are other ways for people like us to contribute. Making donations is a good start. The people in the entertainment industry can make more money that most. It wouldn't hurt to give a few bucks here and there to help find a cure for these illnesses. We could also promote the importance of science and medical research in our films to help get more people interested in studying these fields.

Back