• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is this Peaked Recording Fixable?

sfoster

Staff Member
I would have released my film a month and a half ago but when I recorded my ADR my preamp was turned up too high
Can someone tell me if there is a way to fix the popping noises that I'm getting?

The speech itself sounds fine but when the track starts or (if you skip around) or (hit play/pause) there is a popping noise

So the film just sits on the shelf sadly

A bit off topic but in regards to the manual fade in/fade out, I interned on a feature this year (just dropped on Prime :D ) and my boss had a command in Nuendo hooked up to a contour design shuttle that would add a fade in/out at the cursor's position. Sped things up a ton. Used the jog wheel to slide where we wanted the fade, hit a button, and fade was in. :)
nice!! i made a thread here about the advantages of using a smart mouse to edit.
some people argued with me about it lol.

but I hit ONE button to zoom in on the timeline, ONE button to zoom out. One button for full screen. one button to play forward or reverse, etc
all on my mouse. it does speed things up!!

but even more important than that slight speed boost is that it keeps your mind clear and comfortable so you can focus on the things that actually matter instead of fiddling with redundancy

Last edited:
TOTALLY agree with that! I have a major upgrade I'm really really hoping to do after I graduate college in about 3 years. Right now I'm in a dorm apartment with 5 other guys so space is limited, but long story short I hope to upgrade to a dedicated apartment studio then. One piece of gear I'm definitely getting is a streamdeck for hotkeys. Basically a must at this point after mixing using devices like it.

TOTALLY agree with that! I have a major upgrade I'm really really hoping to do after I graduate college in about 3 years. Right now I'm in a dorm apartment with 5 other guys so space is limited, but long story short I hope to upgrade to a dedicated apartment studio then. One piece of gear I'm definitely getting is a streamdeck for hotkeys. Basically a must at this point after mixing using devices like it.
Omg a dorm with 6 guys. i hope you have at least 2 bathrooms.

A bit off topic but in regards to the manual fade in/fade out, I interned on a feature this year (just dropped on Prime :D ) and my boss had a command in Nuendo hooked up to a contour design shuttle that would add a fade in/out at the cursor's position. Sped things up a ton. Used the jog wheel to slide where we wanted the fade, hit a button, and fade was in. :)
People still use Nuendo..? 🤯

People still use Nuendo..? 🤯
Haha what do you mean still? ;)

It depends on what you do. Each DAW has its own niche and is designed around that. Ableton is more for live dj and sound design, Pro Tools is really solid for live tracking and broadcast, Cubase for composers. Nuendo is a post production beast and is the only choice if you go in that field. It offers everything Cubase does for the composer, works seamlessly with Wwise for game audio, can connect to headsets/dearVR plugins for AR/VR audio, has built in ADR features, automatic scene selector, randomizer for creating variations of an audio file (very useful for making variations of footsteps for games), and some of the best surround processing on the market for more involved mixes.

Not biased at all ;) But it depends on what you do. If you're only a composer and don't do post Nuendo is overkill. If you make beats, go with FL. Daniel James said something in a podcast years ago that I completely agree with. When choosing a DAW look who the company targets, that'll let you know if future updates will offer features in your niche or not.

Back