Is this even possible?

Can you make a serious mockumentary* about anything scary in the woods (vampire, wolfman, some crazy guy killing family pets) without people saying, "Oh that's so Blair Witch."?

*I know it's an oxymoron so tell it walking :rolleyes:

Probably not, but if you do it really, really well and it's nothing like Blair Witch people will forgive you.

The other thing worth remebering is that the mockumentary wasn't invented by Blair Witch. I would suggest you find a copy of a Belgium film callled "Man Bites Dog" which is a mockumentary about a serial killer and probably one of the funniest films I've ever seen. Well, at least the funniest Belgian film. :lol:

It's nothing like Blair Witch, in that it's

a) Well shot
b) Well written (They actually had a script)
c) Not the worst/most boring/over hyped film I've ever seen (Which for me Blair Witch is and was)

Boz Uriel said:
Can you make a serious mockumentary* about anything scary in the woods (vampire, wolfman, some crazy guy killing family pets) without people saying, "Oh that's so Blair Witch."?
Sure, I'm doing it now. It's nothing like Blair Witch, has vampires and will be shot exclusively on a Sony PD170. That's the ONLY similarity: shot on video.

Hell, lots of good movies that had excellent theatrical runs were shot on video. 28 Days (Canon XL-1S); Jackass: The Movie, Open Water, Dancer in the Dark, Super Size Me (all Sony PD150).

It can be done. Good luck!

And I just came up with an idea which has someone finding a canister of film in the woods where they were afraid to go as a kid. The "finding film in the woods" says Blair Witch all over it, but the story will be totally different.

...what about your golf idea? ...and about your people in one room idea...?

now ghosts? :D you will be busy.... btw, maybe if you find an actual story like the Bell Witch, supposed to be the only actual accounting of a ghost who has killed someone... in North Carolina, I think... in the mountains....

--spinner :cool:

The golf script is in workshop right now. :D

The three friends story is still sitting on my shelf in 50 or so index cards. Not sure about that one yet. Pretty weak story wise so I've put it on the back burner to simmer.

Bell Witch eh, a ghost who reaches out and touches someone. LOL That sounds interesting, I think I'll do some research. Thanks spinner. ;)

A friend of mine had a long discussion about the Jersey Devil and all the 'Pineys' who tell that tale. We also kicked around the idea of a fictional monster brought to north America by the Vikings. Some native American magicks had the thing trapped but these two guys let it loose. A Pandora's box meets dead curious kitten theme.

Of course all this takes place in the woods, with one hand held camera, one weird day and a couple really weird nights. Hence my concern with the Blair Witch reference.

Boz Uriel said:
Of course all this takes place in the woods, .

...now, you see, THIS is why I don't go camping, dammit! :D I don't care what anyone says! I want hear police cars, okay... Concrete, strip malls, loud noisy bars and access to a cultural center! Roughing it means no MTV2, or worse yet, no cable meaning no IFC or Sundance Channel! Go camping my ass!

...btw, I am PM-ing you...

--spinner :cool:

Back