Is this a good set up for a beginner indie film maker?

I am a student and a part time employee, which of course means that I do not have a whole lot of money. However, with the release of my practice film, it's abundantly clear that I need higher quality equipment (and practice, but this thread is for equipment). I was wondering if the people here who have experience with good equipment could give me advice on my possible set up.

Camera: Nikon D3100 dslr
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZYF3LO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Audio: Tascam DR-05 Solid State Recorder
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OA6JW0/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

That recorder is a couple hundred dollars cheaper than this one (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001R65MFO/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER) which was recommended to someone else on this forum. Is there a major difference between the two?

Mic: Azden Sgm-2x Xlr 2 Barrel Shotgun Mic
http://www.amazon.com/Azden-Sgm-2x-Xlr-Barrel-Shotgun/dp/B0000ARKW8/ref=pd_cp_p_2

And of course the adapters and cables and such. Is that a decent set up for a beginner indie film maker? If not, what do you recommend instead?

I do not have a set budget as of right now. What I have to do is save up money slowly until I can afford it. With this set up, I should be able to afford it in a couple of months. If I choose to go with more expensive equipment, I will have to wait even longer. What's your advice?

Get the DR-100. It has XLR inputs, which provide a much more secure connection, and is low impedance, which will allow much longer cable runs and avoids the problems of high impedance gear.

I don't normally disparage certain manufacturers, but avoid Azden. The sound is marginal, and the build quality is poor. You'll be much better off with the Audio Technica AT897 or AT895, or the Rode NTG-1 or NTG-2.

Don't forget a boom-pole and shock-mount (most shotgun mic kits come with a shock-mount). You can DIY the boom-pole if you are tight on funds.

These pieces of gear are much more expensive initially, but will save you money and technical hassles in the long run.

Even if you decide to go with consumer gear one of the keys to good sound is getting the mic in close to and properly aimed at the talent. This means someone to "swing the boom" (a boom-op) who keeps the mic aimed the mouths of the actors. A camera mounted mic yields very inferior sound quality.

BTW, my first recommendation is to hire someone to do the sound, and my second recommendation is to rent the sound gear on a shoot-by-shoot basis.

Ok thanks. On my last project I used a boom pole and a shock mount. But the equipment quality was so poor it still came out bad. How is that camera? It is much cheaper than other selections but seem comparable technically.

This might be a good bit out of the budget because it is a lot more expensive than the one you listed, but I'm a huge fan of the 5d mark 2. I've gotten similar footage from a 60d and a 5d mk 2 and the difference is really amazing. For what it costs and how user friendly it is, it's a great choice for a beginner, IMO.

I don't have any 60d footage on me right now but here's some screen shots of footage we got from the 5d with no lighting except a reflector board.

ScreenShot2011-10-01at54158PM.png

ScreenShot2011-10-01at54239PM.png

The problem is, it's $1,500 more than the other one.

True, but you don't need that. If you're just getting going, all you need is an HD camera and a way to get good audio. Your main focus is to learn how to shoot, edit, and tell a story. You won't have a clue of what type of camera you want/need until you begin to master the big 3.

An expensive camera won't make you a better filmmaker, it will make you a guy to invite on set if you bring your camera while you watch someone else use it.

From what I've heard the Nikons suffer from some pretty bad aliasing and moire, worse than even the Canons. While you can shoot around it, it's something to keep in mind. I've never shot video with a Nikon, but I have used Canon DSLRs and Panasonic's GH series of cameras. My current camera of choice is the Panasonic GH2. It handles moire and aliasing far better than the Canon cameras and also records a more detailed image than the Canons. It can adapt pretty much any lens you can think of and has an available firmware hack that improves image quality even more. I'd at least research and consider it before you make your purchase.

I second the GH2 suggestion. You might also see if you can find a GH1. They're less expensive, and still awesome with the firmware hack. Check ebay and craigslist. That's what I have and I absolutely love it. And I only paid $400 for mine (no lens, but vintage lenses are cheap).

Yeah, so is the camera I posted in my original post sufficient? It shoots HD footage.

If you're going to go the DSLR route, the GH2 is extremely popular. Working part time and being a student is going to require quite a bit of time to save up for everything on your list, so that's why I suggested getting started with something you can get your hands on quickly and beginning the process of learning. There might even be better options than the GH2 by the time you get all your money together. Just my 2 cents.

Back