• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is there a limit to an introductory narration?

Ok, so I'm working on my first short. I've been planning this for a while now, and am finally ready to begin writing the narration script (most of the film is done through improvisation rather than script, so once this is done I'm almost ready to go).

The introductory narration describes what's going on, and how the characters and society as a whole find themselves where they are. I was just wondering, is there a theoretical limit to the length of this? Like can it be too long that it will switch off the audience? Displayed will be a montage of news clips with the narration over it, but when getting the clips together I felt like it may be too long.

What's your opinions on the length of it?

Thanks,
Jack

I think you'd want to keep it short, I'd say if the film is going to be 10 minutes, the narration should be around 30seconds;no more than 1 minute. Get into the action and motivation of the story asap. Think if using narration for the intro is necessary, maybe the intro will play better with a text intro/explanation and quickly transition to the opening scene.

Improvisation in narration sounds like a pretty bad idea. If you think someone can improvise that good,I am pretty sure you can ask them to write it down.

Could you give a quick synopsis of the short?

Concerning the improvisation, i am confident in my casts ability (have used them before for school projects), so i have no worries there. The narration was, however, going to be scripted, the only part of the film to be in fact.

Thank you for your time reccomendation. :)

-Jack

IN contrast, improvisation in narration is a better idea than having the narrator read from a script. Just in case you have one of those actors who doesn't emote when doing a voice-over, and always slows down at the end of every sentence.

Improv would keep it natural.

It's too long when the audience loses interest.
No page count or clock needed.

Ok, so I'm working on my first short. I've been planning this for a while now, and am finally ready to begin writing the narration script (most of the film is done through improvisation rather than script, so once this is done I'm almost ready to go).

The introductory narration describes what's going on, and how the characters and society as a whole find themselves where they are. I was just wondering, is there a theoretical limit to the length of this? Like can it be too long that it will switch off the audience? Displayed will be a montage of news clips with the narration over it, but when getting the clips together I felt like it may be too long.

What's your opinions on the length of it?

Thanks,
Jack

Concerning the improvisation, i am confident in my casts ability (have used them before for school projects), so i have no worries there.

Really? And what about your crew's ability, their equipment and your location, do you have no worries there either? How are you going to get usable alt or safety takes or wild tracks? I know of no directors who don't worry about improvisation!

G

Really? And what about your crew's ability, their equipment and your location, do you have no worries there either? How are you going to get usable alt or safety takes or wild tracks? I know of no directors who don't worry about improvisation!

G

ThanK you!

There lies the difference between a director and a Director.

A director is busy showing the world how it should be done his way, while a Director is busy worrying about every tiny little thing associated with his film.

Those mishaps you listed can happen to anyone. I'm talking about the cast know what I want them to say (they have guidelines e.g. in. scene one you will talk about this, that character will have this opinion, etc) so I am confident that they can achieve it. This is my first short, so I'm expecting to learn a lot. This may be one of them lessons, but I could also take some good from it. My second short already has its script written up however, so I will be able to compare them :)

If you're going to allow improv, use as many cameras as you can simultaneously. It varies from extremely hard to impossible to get good cuts between two completely improved takes; far easier to have 2 or 3 cameras rolling and simply cut between them from the one take you liked.
Once I started editing, I seriously appreciate the actor that moved, looked. smiled, nodded on cue. That sort of continuity seems to me to be critical to match up footage from different angles reliably.
There'll be no improv on my set unless I have at least 3 cameras rolling.

Narration sucks. Sometimes it works, and there are some movies that I really like, that use narration very effectively. Usually, it only drains the audience of any emotional connection they might otherwise be able to make. Show, don't tell. Narration is the most extreme form of telling.

So, what's the limit on how much narration you can use? I dunno. Maybe you should watch the director's cut of "Blade Runner", then the theatrical version.

If you feel like your film will be better with narration, keep it to the absolute minimum. What's the limit? As soon as your narration is sharing even one word that isn't essential to moving the story forward, you've reached your limit.

Also, improv is incredibly difficult to edit. It's a lot of fun to shoot. Damn-near impossible to cut. Multiple cameras is definitely a smart thing to do, and make sure that one of your cameras is fixed on an ultra-close-up of one of your actors (the more you've got of these, the better).

Back