• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Is Sony NEX-VG10E the budget answer

I am looking for a camcorder with a large sensor primevally for shooting interviews. I have a Canon 550D which is fine as I can record separate sound but as it does not have hold focus through zoom (back focus) it is not ideal. The Sony NEX-VG10E seems like a good budget option but I am unsure if it has back focus. Has anyone had experience of this camcorder?

Holding focus through the zoom is usually a function of the lens, not the camera, and is not 'back focus' - it's 'parfocal'. That aside the VG10 is missing some useful features that are common in most other modern large sensor cameras - 24p, audio level control, focus assist, etc - which appear to have all been addressed in the upcoming VG20 which is supposed to ship sometime this month. At this point I'd say you're better off waiting for that one, and if having a parfocal lens is important to you I'd get the body-only model and an adapter with a third-party lens.

Holding focus through the zoom is usually a function of the lens, not the camera, and is not 'back focus' - it's 'parfocal'. That aside the VG10 is missing some useful features that are common in most other modern large sensor cameras - 24p, audio level control, focus assist, etc - which appear to have all been addressed in the upcoming VG20 which is supposed to ship sometime this month. At this point I'd say you're better off waiting for that one, and if having a parfocal lens is important to you I'd get the body-only model and an adapter with a third-party lens.

What he said.

I have a VG10 and if this is the element you are looking for then forget about it. As much as I love the little camera, I use it in conjunction with a 7D with follow focus, tripod and slider.

And if you want to use the zoom, you'll need a seriously good tripod.

Back