Is it worth using an SD camera if the lenses are good?

I was thinking about it. There are a lot of SD cinema cameras out there on sale cheap, now that SD is old news. But the lenses you can get for them are better than the ones on HD DSLRs, and HD video camcorders.

However, the next camera I buy I would want to be the one to shoot my first feature on in the future. So is it worth the money if I get it cheap now, for later. There are these new 4k DSLRs are coming out, back again, the lenses won't be as good as a cinema camera's.

Now a lot of people on here say it's not so much what type of camera you use, it's all about the lenses. I have watched a lot of footage shot on different cameras, and I can see why. So would it be worth shooting my first feature, which I hope to get noticed, on SD, if the lenses are good? Those SD cinema cameras, also seem to have less noise than an HD DSLR as well.

Last edited:
I'm going to give you piece of advice from a different camp.

Just my $.02...

It's not about camera advice, it's about a faulty theory.
"If the camera is not important, but the lens is --> SD is better than HD"
This is no sound logic.

SD equipment is cheap, because the market is shrinking rapidly.
Not all SD lenses will fit HD-cameras. There are physical limitations to each lens. Just like EF-S lenses can't be properly used on full-frame EF cameras without vignetting.

Back