• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch is E.T. a remake of The Wizard of Oz?

Here's the latest Sonnyboo Podcast, weighing in on the question of E.T. as a remake of 1939's The Wizard of Oz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzec0anBcYg

hmm... interesting.... not a remake, no, but quite possibly heavily inspired by.

Like if a munchkin were to wind up in Kansas

What would constitute a "remake"? Is there an official source that defines this?

A BUG'S LIFE and MAGNIFICENT SEVEN are remakes of Akira Kurasawa's SEVEN SAMURAI. Bruce Willis' movie LAST MAND STANDING and Eastwood's FISTFUL OF DOLLARS are remakes of Kurasawa's YOJIMBO.

I guess it's down to the semantics of what defines "remake" for each of us.

I'd go by the actual definition:

"a movie or piece of music that has been filmed or recorded again and rereleased."

Being inspired by and/or adopting many elements of a piece of work is not a remake.

I mean, it just sounds silly to say "The Lion King is a remake of Hamlet..... with Lions..." Because so much is different, besides just the lions

I'd go by the actual definition:

"a movie or piece of music that has been filmed or recorded again and rereleased."

Being inspired by and/or adopting many elements of a piece of work is not a remake.

How much of the story, as in is there an exact percentage that constitutes a remake? PLANET OF THE APES 2001 barely constitutes the title of "remake" then. Is it the just reusing the title that would qualify the term "remake"? Most of the aforementioned examples - MAGINIFICENT SEVEN/SEVEN SAMURAI and FISTFUL OF DOLLARS/YOJIMBO have been referred to as remakes, but they changed more than the title and setting.

The "actual" definition has not made anything less vague, at least to me.

There are similar themes in any story, and, if you stretch the comparisons far enough, you'll say one is a remake of the other.

ET came back to life, so is ST 3 is a remake of ET, because Spock came back - and both are a remake of a certain story that took place 2,000 years ago.

There are similar themes in any story, and, if you stretch the comparisons far enough, you'll say one is a remake of the other.

ET came back to life, so is ST 3 is a remake of ET, because Spock came back - and both are a remake of a certain story that took place 2,000 years ago.

In the commentary for Paul Simon Pegg said that Spielberg told him the messianic connections were unintentional

Back