Is crowd sourcing for me?

I am currently finishing off a script for a short I would like to make that's purpose is actually an anti-smoking campaign.

I am hoping that the short will be used as part of anti-smoking charity campaigns and thus will be helpful for altruistic reasons if not necessarily financially.

Is this something I should look towards indiegogo or kickstarter for or are they not really tailored towards this type of endeavor?

I have funded the project myself thus far, investing in relevant equipment etc, however I don't have the funds to hire the actor I need, nor a production sound man,I study pretty much every waking hour at the moment and just don't have the time to have a separate job to fund the project.

Any advice is hugely welcome as its a project close to my heart that I feel could save lives and heart ache, but a field(crowd funding) that is new to me.

Cheers.

IndieGoGo

Sounds to me like this is more of an IndieGoGo campaign. Kickstarter doesn't really like you to do stuff "for a cause" - you could probably get away with it, but it's uncertain. IndieGoGo is friendlier towards these kinds of projects, plus you can set your campaign so that you keep what you raise, even if you don't make your goal. Might be what you're looking for?

Source: 48 hours left in my Kickstarter!
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jasmerrin/sleepwalkers-feature-film

Crowd-funding from what I have heard is really just worth it after years of building up a whole crowd of followers, fans and friends... or if you have massive amounts of traffic from sources which are exactly from the same field of interest.

I personally think crowd-funding is worth a consideration, but if your project can be done without tons of money, just do it yourself and find friends who can help.
These days making movies isn't that much of a struggle anymore ... if you really stick with a "reasonable"-sized idea.

Best regards
Michael Bergner
http://windupfilms.blogspot.com

There are those that think film making is a magic money faucet.
Pfft.
Wrong plumbing item.

Filmmaking is a magic money drain.

"Wheeeeee! Watch it all go down! Wheeeee!"

Money-down-the-drain.jpg

:lol:

Back