• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

is a quad core imac good enough?

Hey
I was wondering if you can point me in the right direction on the best platform and device for video editing and special effects, such as using Adobe after effects and working with video, my current PC is not good enough, was wondering what is a good choice, I have in mind the imac 27" quadcore i5
is this good enough?

also firstly I guess, should I get a pc or mac?

Well, first you need to work out what format and resolution of video you want to work with - SD DV? 1080i unconverted AVCHD? ProRes 444 2K? This will somewhat dictate your minimum processing and storage capabilities (video takes up a lot of space, especially if you need to back everything up as well).

The Mac v PC is a matter of personal preference as much as anything. Have you worked with both systems before?

Yes a quadcore i5 will run after effects nicely, final cut should run beautifully on that system as well.

I have an i7 PC that I built last year, it screams through standard definition footage rendering in Premiere, and composites in after effects.. takes a bit longer for HD, but that's expected.

What exactly do you mean when you say "good enough"

as for format and resolution, that is also something uncertain at the moment, because in future I am looking to but a video camera too, I was thinking like a HDV camera, but that is also something I was going to ask on the forum later when I have the money for one.
But before then mostly standard definition. I'm not even sure if I will need HD as it is probably unecessary for me, I just want to make good quality footage, for short films for university.

And also yes, I have worked with both systems. though have never used after effects on a mac, only final cut.

I mean good enough as in, after effects doesnt crash and fail when I try to render out footage, as it does now.

It seems for the same price as a quadcore i5 imac you can build or get made a pc with higher specs? is this right?
but does higher specs generally relate to better rendering and working with video.
Because it seems to me mac is preferred for video editing for most people because they hear industry standard use macs.. but industry standard most likely have those immensely powerful mac pros which is totally different then the consumer imacs.
I just also want to make sure the imac is the choice go with not just because its popular and trendy at the moment, because at the end of the day, i need it to do its job. lol

Also thanks alot for the help

Last edited:
Back