iPhone to record sound

All right....let me have it!

Seriously, though, I posted in another thread about filming a feature using only an iPhone (fitted with some lenses) and I know I am pushing it doing that, so I know I need to have kick butt audio for anyone to take this seriously. However, I'm so deep into this "FULLY DONE WITH AN IPHONE" niche that I'm really considering using one to record sound. Originally I was thinking h4n or something similar, but now I'm thinking why not an iPhone? I've done a little reading up on it (still need to do more), but does anyone have any opinions or experience they can share regarding this? I know there are some decent mics out there than can be plugged into the phone (haven't decided if I'll try to run a cord to my iphone I'm filming from, or just run it to a completely separate one and record on it (I have about 4 at my disposal). I've also heard they make XLR adapters that will let you plug an XLR mic into it (not sure what kind of quality is lost in the adapter though).

Any thoughts?

The problem with the Q802USB - as far as I can find out - is that you will need an external power supply, so when you are shooting outdoors you will need a LONG extension cord. When plugged into a wall socket it can also present grounding (hum) issues. From the few reviews I have read there seems to be an issue with weak mic pres; this will be a problem with most cheap mixers. Also, for production sound you don't need EQ or effects routing.

As far as mics go the AT897 has a lower output level than the AT875, so, considering the weak mic pres, you should think about the AT875. However, since you say you are shooting primarily indoors you should consider a hypercardioid mic, which is a better choice for folks inexperienced with audio when shooting indoors; it will somewhat mitigate the hollow ambient/roomy sound so common when using a shotgun mic indoors. You may want to look into the Avantone CK-1.

Yes, you need the K6 for the ME66.

What about the iRig Pro? Anyone have any experience with it? Looks like it could do exactly what I need. Has an XLR connection, provides phantom power, and connects to the iPhone via lightning jack (not through the headphone jack). Looks like it also connects through midi which will also help when it comes time to score post production. I have a midi keyboard that my musician brother in law is going to help me with to score it via GarageBand.

The iRig Pro is a better choice. Think about it.... The iRig is just a volume control and supplies phantom power for twice the price of the Q802, so the quality goes into the mic pre. The reviews are okay, although not glowing.

My big issue with the iPhone "solution" is still the inability to monitor the actual recorded sound in real time.

Oh, you'll also need an audio conversion app that allows you to record 24bit/48kHz.

I just listened to a couple tests online between the CK 1 and the AT875. The 875 sounded WORLDS better, but my guess is the guy who did it knew what he was doing. CK sounded metallicy.

Do you still believe, given a sound guy who knows his stuff, could get better results from the CK 1 rather than the 875?

Last edited:
Do you insist on recording to an iPhone 5(s) or will an iPod or iPhone 4(s) work for your gimmick? The Alesis ProTrack that I referenced earlier has a headphone jack, 2 XLR inputs, provides 48v phantom power, and has a 1/4 inch input jack. Guitar Center has it on sale for $150.00. I played with one in the store and it seemed to be useful for a certain purpose. I do not own one and have not used it in the real world, my impressions are just from messing about with it in he store.

Grip for iphone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvQtig8qNwk

XY mic for iphone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqt1LouGAt8

Not sure why this one isn't on the Rode site:
http://www.smartlav.com/

That gives you the minimal recording options you need to capture it with an iphone.

And yes, restricting yourself to iphones is a gimmick, but if you can pull it off it'll be awesome. However, the worse your equipment, usually, the better your skill must be to make something acceptably cool. In other words, while only a master can take full advantage of expensive gear, only a master can push the worst gear to the best it can perform.

These guys did an entire fashion shoot with an iphone, and it came out great.

there are iphone audio interfaces that take a balanced mic input. You will probably need a phantom power module too. Big drawback is that all such interfaces need power but probably from a wall wart so an electrician might be able to make a transformer you can run off NP1s or other batteries.

Back