iPhone/iPad filmmaking apps...

Hi everyone!

Making this thread to recommend some iPhone/iPad apps I've been using and to hear what recommendations you people have - some of these apps are killer!

My faves:

Artemis Directors Viewfinder - iPhone
Very cool app - allows you to select a camera body and set of prime lenses then simulates the framing of your camera/lens combo using the iPhone's built-in camera - has settings for DSLRs as well as film cameras and RED.

Screenplay - iPhone
Screenwriting app for the iPhone - I've actually written a 30-page script on this! Obviously not as fully featured as Final Draft by still handy for tapping out some properly formatted pages when creativity strikes!

Scripts Pro - iPad
Another screenwriting app - does some things better than screenplay, other things worse - it's infuriatingly slow with longer scripts (100+ pages) but for shorts it's fast enough. Currently the best screenwriting app for the iPad (until Final Draft comes out :))

Cinemek Storyboard Composer - iPhone
Formerly known as 'Hitchcock' - this is an amazing, compact storyboarding app for your iPhone - you can either take photos to import in or use artwork that you've copied to your phone. Allows you to add standard symbols for camera moves as well as directional and rotational markers and character stand-ins. You can record an audio clip to add to your storyboard, set up shot timings and export to QuickTime or PDF. YouTube Demo.

Pocket Call Sheet - iPhone
Allows you to pick details from your contacts list to quickly build an impressive and thorough call sheet - enough customization to add anything the developers have missed and once you're done it'll email it to everyone on the call sheet - a great time-saver.

mRelease - iPhone
Standard release forms for talent, property and crew on your iPhone! Enter all the details of your production and this app will let you take a picture of the location and/or talent/crew member then produce an appropriate release form which can be signed directly on the touch screen! Crazy! Release forms can then be emailed straight to the relevant parties!

Movie*Slate - iPad
Just a great customizable digital slate for the iPad - works well on iPhone too but obviously the iPad's larger screen makes for a better slate :)

Rehearsal - iPhone/iPad
Script markup app for actors - it's free to download but you have to pay by the script or a subscription to use it (first 30 days is free) - not just good for actors, as a writer/director I ind it handy for marking up my own scripts!

OK - those are my current favourites - anyone here know of any other great fillmaking apps I may have missed?

Last edited:
I've only heard of the storyboard one, but I met a guy who uses it and totally raved about it. I can't remember whether he said it was for iPad as well, but that would be cool.

The viewfinder sounds real cool, and the release form app could be really useful as well. Too bad I don't own so much as an iPod :P

Don't celtx have an iPhone/iPad app out now? At least, I saw one advertised on their site.

They do but a.) you have to pay for it (which for me defeats the point of CeltX) b.) it's designed for iPhone and looks rubbish on the iPad which is the only Apple device remotely sensible for screenwriting on.

Back