intro. with avchd questions

I have been on for a few weeks now and have yet to do a welcome post and since it seems everyone else does i suppose I should.
I am a senior at Hobart College with a strong passion for film and more recently really getting into filmmaking. I was able to convince my parents that I need a expensive camera and am happily working with a Panasonic AG-HMC150 (even though I am trying to learn everything I can to make use of it best I can).
The biggest problem I am finding right now is trying to find the right workflow, and since I am shooting my first short this week I need to figure it out quickly. I have been doing research on this forum and throughout the internet for best solutions and still am not sure where I am at. The problem is I have an older macbook with only 1gb of ram and FCE to work with. So neoscene will not work here. Next I also have access to FCP 6 in the library but I am iffy on purchasing a $100 program that will stay on a computer that's next mine. In a perfect world I would buy a new beefed up mac, get FCP7 maybe get neoscene and be on my way (except for blueray) which is why I am still considering CS4 Premiere. But this is not happening anytime soon. So at this point I am at a stalemate with it and really do not know which way to go.
Any thoughts or advice would be useful.
Thank you.
(sorry for such a long introduction)

Just to clarify my ultimate goal would be to go get the best quality output. I am shooting at 1080p 24fps. I suppose Blue ray would be my desired final product.

Hello there, I have a Panny 150 as well. 1 gig is going to be tough working with native files, comp kind of has to have power. You can convert the files using main concept AVCHD to DVCPRO transcoder which you can find on the Panasonic website for free (not sure if this is just for PC though). You may lose some quality but don't think it is by much or at least not that you would be able to tell (but don't quote me on that one). Also, I started with premiere but it was having a tough time handling AVCHD. At the moment I'm using Sony Vegas. I'm also on a PC so can't really speak about workflow on a Mac. I think there is something called toast which transcodes the RAW files. check out this website as there is a forum dedicated to this camera, workflow, etc. http://www.dvxuser.com hope i helped some.

Jona

I recommend neocene, it makes this much simpler for us old comp folks (cmon its only $100). I still need to use proxies in AE for any real difficult stuff.

Maybe you can do some gheto proxy stuff.. trick the NLE into using low res files for your work, but then swap in the high res footage just before rendering your output..

???

Back