• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

Interesting, but depressive screenwriting article

Yes, but we've always known this. I use to by angry at the industry execs and how things work but at the end of the day it IS a business and bottom lines have to be met. It sucks because screenwriting is an art but as we know, whenever art and money mix, the integrity of the project is compromised.

Look around you, you're friends who aren't movie buffs probably have no problem with the quality of films being made. Mine don't. I hate it but theres more of them then there is of us and hollywood knows that. I wished the greater population enjoyed movies like Chinatown and Blood Simple, unfortunately they don't.

Just keep doing what you're passionate about, even if it means challenging the status quo. Who knows, one of us could be the next Charlie Kaufman....

Just keep doing what you're passionate about, even if it means challenging the status quo. Who knows, one of us could be the next Charlie Kaufman....

Couldn't agree with you more, Sarafina!

Didn't get to welcome you properly (on your 1st post)...WELCOME TO INDIETALK! :D

It sucks because screenwriting is an art but as we know, whenever art and money mix, the integrity of the project is compromised

I'm not sure that this is true. I know it feels like the only way to be sucessful as a screenwriter is to sell out, but actually although there are many people out there who see film making purely as a cash cow, there are also many great artists and people who want to see their work. There are thousand of great arthouse films and they are doing great business. The thing is it is almost a separate part of the industry, with different audiences and different rules for doing business.

I agree with bird, hang on in there and don't compromise. If you've got something to say, you'll find an audience for it. The tricks is to work with people who believe in the project and don't care about the money, whilst at the same time recognising that everyone deserves to get paid somehow, even if it can't be done right now. (That includes you)

I think this is the most important paragraph of the story:

"Paradoxically, the list of the top-grossing movies of all time includes an impressive number of originals that spawned countless sequels and imitations: "Star Wars," "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial," "Independence Day," "The Sixth Sense" and "The Matrix." Even "Titanic," the mother blockbuster of all time, came from the fertile brain of James Cameron."

Other big films with original screenplays are Raiders of the Lost Ark and Terms of Endearment. I'm sure there are many more, but the point is that originality and high grosses are not mutually exclusive. The public will respond to originality. The problem is, studios don't know what the public will respond to, so they tend to rely on what they know they've responded to in the past. As William Goldman famously wrote, in Hollywood, "nobody knows anything."

The good news is that money can be made from films that don't gross in the multi-millions. "Lost in Translation" is just he lastest example of this. So there will be a market for small, original scripts -- it's just under the smaller "classics" division of the major studios.

Will studios get more creative and take greater risks on unknown talent anytime soon? looking at today's political climate, I'd say no. We're in a era that is the mirror opposite of the 60s and 70s, when the old guard studio execs felt they were out-of-touch with the youth in America and handed the reigns to a new generation of inventive and original filmmakers. It seems now we're more likely to see more films about the Bible and big-studio backing for the "Left Behind" series.

Who knows? Personally, I try and find themes that anyone can relate to when writing. David Mamet recently wrote that good drama addresses enternal human conflicts that have no solution. I think that's what people respond to, stories that they can relate to, and in term spark something inside of them.

Back