Information needed about a multi camera setup

Hi,

I'm a total newbie in this field and would appreciate your advice. I'm sorry if this is a stupid question

For a multicamera setup, do I need to use 2 or more cameras of the same type or can I mix and match cameras?

To illustrate: Can I shoot a scene using an XL1 and a DVX100 and then use the multicamera feature of Liquid Edition (video editing software). Or do both the cameras have to be xl1's or dvx100's

Also other than the cameras and the software would I need any additional equipment?

If you could point me in the direction of any internet tutorials in the subject it would help.

Thank you.

Last edited:
This isn't my area of expertise but the difficulty with mulitcamera shoots is getting a consistent look in post production.

However, both the camera's you are suggesting are mini-DV, so it's not like mixing formats where the problems are horrible.

I have two sugestions, the first is white balance both the cameras manually for each new scene, do them together at the same time under the same lighting conditions. The second is, if you have access to a monitor that will take two camera feeds use it to check that picture quality is similar on both.

The only other thing, as with all film work it's better to run some tests before you shoot so you know absolutely your technical choices will work, rather than relying on advice from strangers on the net.

Good luck

What part of India are you from, I hoping to go there in the winter.

Purchasing cameras for a multi-cam shoot

Hi Clive,

Thank you for your reply. I live in Goa.

I'm actually helping my college in setting up infrastucture for a course in mass communication and video production. One of the topics in the syllabus is multi camera shoots. The college hasn't purchased the cameras yet and were wondering whether to buy

a) 2 AVGDVX 100's
b) or 1 DVX100 and 1 HDR-FX1
c) or 2 HDR-FX1's

There's a dearth of anyone with the technical knowhow in Goa. Hence we've to find out and rely on the opinions of people who've actually used the stuff (I know its no substitute for hands on testing). It's practically impossible, in Goa to try out the equipment before buying since no one stocks it. :-(

What would you recommend from the above choices?

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
Liquid Edition...

s192837 said:
Hi Clive,

Thank you for your reply. I live in Goa.

I'm actually helping my college in setting up infrastucture for a course in mass communication and video production. One of the topics in the syllabus is multi camera shoots. The college hasn't purchased the cameras yet and were wondering whether to buy

a) 2 AVGDVX 100's
b) or 1 DVX100 and 1 HDR-FX1
c) or 2 HDR-FX1's

There's a dearth of anyone with the technical knowhow in Goa. Hence we've to find out and rely on the opinions of people who've actually used the stuff (I know its no substitute for hands on testing). It's practically impossible, in Goa to try out the equipment before buying since no one stocks it. :-(

What would you recommend from the above choices?

Thank you for your help.

Steven

I have Liquid Edition Pro Version 6 and might be able to shed a little light on this...

I have been able to use the multicam function with the same cameras OR with different cameras. With the same or different cameras, you can mark each scene where you want your multicam edit to start and simply go from there... If you are using the same cameras (up to 16) and getting the timecode of all cameras in sync, then you can work off the timcode... Either way works well.

Back to cameras...

I do not recommend using an HDV and a MiniDV camera and mix footage although you could easily do this... I just don't think the footage would match very well... Right now today, I would opt for the DVX100As instead of 2 Sonys. To me, the 24P is well worth it although you may be using 25P but still... Looks great.

The Sony footage is okay but if you want 24P/25P you'll have to convert it first...

If I were going to wait, I would wait until Panasonic starts selling their new 24P HiDef camera... We should know pretty soon when it will become available... Of course the only problem there is money... But if you have the money available, I would wait for the new Panasonic. I've seen DVX100A footage up converted to HiDef side by side with the Sony's footage and you'd be surprised at how well it holds up next to it.

Either way you go, the software will be able to handle it... No problem there...

Good luck with it...

filmy

Thank you Filmy for your advice. We'll wait for the Panasonic. Hopefully it'll be priced right for us to buy a pair.

I would go with two same models for several reasons:

1) It is easier to do multi-cam shoots. Some brands and models shoot differently than others. Sony cams, for example, and said to shoot with a bluer hue than Canons, which shoot red. So having the same model means, in theory, that at least those sorts of things will be consistent.

2) Learning curve. Having two different models means you have to learn the functions of two different cameras. It's a lot easier for everyone to learn how to use one camera, and be able to operate both cams.

here's another reason for Demosthenes' list...

3) This is how it would be in the real world.. on a TV show or whatnot... since this is for a schools Mass Communication program, teaching the way the news or a sitcom or something would be shot is more beneficial than teaching different camera.

Also, I'd throw my weight at a pair of the DVX-100a's.. they're the best looking DV I've seen.

Demosthenes & Will,

Thank you for your advice.
Now that the HVX200 has been announced, we'll probably go for a pair of 'em, provided Panasonic gives us a way to record to a hard disk. The P2 solution is expensive

Back