Info about this lens

My budget has been slashed, so I am going to purchase the gh3. I need a lens mount for Nikon, as I have several lens, but I need something a little different for wide angles, how about this on Ebay right now(Newly listed Nikon 19x 8-152mm F1.7 B4 Lens for Panasonic AF100 GH1 GH2 GH3)? I can't find info,, seems pretty amazing, too amazing?
Thanks
Vows

That is a b4 mount broadcast lens. Probably from a 3x 2/3" CCD camera. They posted the "catch" in the ad:

USE WITH 2x EXTENDER ON LENS (INCLUDED) TO PROVIDE FULL COVERAGE OF THE MICRO 4/3 SENSOR WITH NO VIGNETTING
With the 2x extender engaged, the zoom range is 16-304mm and the "35mm Equivalent" zoom range is 32-608mm !!
Can also be used in 1x (without the extender) on the GH2 in 1:1 crop mode with no image degradation:
(In 1:1 or 2.7x crop mode the "crop factor" relative to 35mm is 5.2x)
In 1:1 crop mode and the lens in 1x, the "35mm Equivalent" zoom range is 42-790mm.
In 1:1 crop mode and the lens in 2x, the "35mm Equivalent" zoom range is an AMAZING 84-1580mm.

The lens doesn't cover the sensor without either using the extender or using the camera's "ETC" crop mode.

Also, there are usually noticeable defects in the image when using these on a single sensor camera because of the way they are designed for cameras which split r/g/b onto 3 individual image planes.

Having said all that, there are b4 lenses that seem to work better than others on m4/3. Some of the stuff posted on vimeo with these setups looks pretty good, others not so much. MTE also makes a d-tap to hirose power cable, which you would need to use the zoom servo on the lens, assuming you want that functionality. So it can be done, but there are some gotchas. I've thought about it, but not seen a suitable lens at a price I'm willing to pay. :D

Last edited:
Thanks..
I'll leave that alone.
How about recent 2 years, canon lenses from a Mark2, on the GH3?
I've got some old 35mm Nikon lenses from the day.
Ideas?
Vows

Thanks..
I'll leave that alone.
How about recent 2 years, canon lenses from a Mark2, on the GH3?
I've got some old 35mm Nikon lenses from the day.
Ideas?
Vows

The problem with adapting modern glass is the lack of an aperture ring on the lens itself. Both Nikon G lenses and Canon EF/EF-S lenses set aperture through the camera body. Nikon's are mechanical where Canon's are electronic.

Nikon G -> m4/3 adapters usually have a lever/ring/long bolt type setup where you can physically move the tab that controls the aperture.

For Canon glass you need a mount similar to this:

http://www.adorama.com/RRLALMCAEF.html?gclid=CP2yqpLJo7YCFSxyQgodcW8ASA

Which powers the aperture control, or one like this:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/811146-REG/Bower_ABAM43EOS_ABAM43EOS_Micro_4_3_Camera.html

Which has an aperture of its own. This works because EOS lenses are wide open when un-powered.

Personally, if you already have some Nikon F (older manual stuff) prime lenses are are doing narrative work, I'd stick with those. I'm not a fan of the way they focus backwards from cinema glass (ring turns in the opposite direction), but they make a very nice image on a gh2.

If you are just looking for a wide angle solution, the Nokton suggested above would be excellent. Also, the Tokina 11-16 in a Nikon mount with the appropriate adapter is a very solid choice.

Last edited:
Back