• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

In Premiere Cutting Out Something

i finished this recording, and there's is a gang of flies (must've been 3 or 4) just constantly racing through my screen. now the problem is. the background is white in that shot, the actor is in the middle of the screen all in black. and the flies, just like the actor, all in black, flying throughout the entire screen.

anyway to get them out that white background?

can't i cut him out of there and just place him into another shot i made of just the background? if so how would i do that?

Last edited:
Are the flies moving between the actor and the camera? I so cutting the actor out won't help. It sounds like you will need to go in and paint out the flies frame by frame.

in those couple of seconds i'm trying to use the flies are only flying through the background. the background is white, but i've got these black dots in the background.

Ok good!

It sounds like you have two options then:

1) Rotoscope the actor frame by frame and place in a new background. I can't remember off the top of my head but premiere should have some form of masking tools. I use Premiere Pro myself but haven't done any masking for a long time (I now use After Effects). Look up masking or rotoscoping in the help file.

2) Step through frame by frame and clone over the flies.

I think the second option sounds easiest to me. Well, unless you have a LOT of flies moving around back there.

PremPro's masking is not so hot. (Look for "Garbage Matte" in F1 help)

Is this a music video? If so, you can salvage this easily. Those almost always have busy motion going on, and you could simply slap in wacky footage in various spots to cover it up.

If not...

How about making a PSD object (the same exact shade as the white), importing it and plopping it into multiple video layers? (One for each fly) Use the motion tools to keep them on top of the flies (and turning transparent when they are behind actor). I can't think of any blending options offhand... several in AE, though.

clone over the flies.

PremPro has cloning? I'm looking for it, but can't find a mention. HEPL :cool:

Back