• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

In Focus out focus. Beginner's question

Hi
Absolute beginner here.
I just purchased my first camcorder, JVC GZ-EXBAA, When I take videos the image has everything is in focus. I want to make some parts in focus and some out of focus (like this image). How can I do that?
Daisies-Focus.jpg

I don't think my camcorder allows iris control though .. :(

Thanks in advance
Sam

Last edited:
Yeah, that's a shallow depth of field.

Things you can do to get less dof include -

Use a larger aperture (low F numbers). In bright daylight you may very well need to use an ND filter to reduce the amount of light let in by the large aperture, to achieve a correct exposure.

Use a longer focal length.

Position the camera closer to the subject.

Use a camera with a larger sensor.

Edit - just noticed that you mentioned you have no aperture control. Check your manual thoroughly just in case, but if you are stuck with auto aperture only, then you can shoot in lower light to encourage the iris to open up, or slap a ND filter on if shooting in daylight. Be careful though, as at some point your cam will probably try to ramp up the ISO too, and give you noisier images.

Last edited:
Glad to help. :)

He's using the 2nd and 3rd suggestions. ie shoot with a longer lens and move in closer. It's a great workaround for his/your slow lens and small sensor, but this method imposes significant compositional limitations of course. It is however usually more than adequate for getting nice shots of smaller things like flowers, or some tight portait shots.

Just to confuse you further though, the focal length doesnt actually change the dof, but it appears to, relative to the viewing position, by changing perspective. Confused yet? Try googling for depth of field tutorials if you want a greater understanding on this subject. :)

Back