• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

In camera strobing from inconsistent light cycles

Hi there, new guy here also. Hello.

I am shooting a short film in a few weeks and i wanted to capture a certain strobing effect lighting has whenever there is an inconsistent light cycle that clashes with the camera's shutter speed (usually whenever the lighting is not 50hz). The effect can be seen in slow motion clips from Scott Pilgrim and Snowtown.

As the past examples, whenever I was doing camera tests I was shooting on 60fps and at a s/s of 120, then going higher and lower to experiment with the strobe. The location I am shooting on however has LED lighting and is extremely well lit. The only time, and possibly ever will get a location that needs to cinematic lighting whatsoever is the only time I need really bad lighting. I know.

I was wondering if someone knew the official term for this effect so I could research it more, or ever ways that I could emulate it in post. I've did a recce of the place using both a Canon 6d and 550d, both on differing s/s and fps and also using different lenses, and no matter what I can't seem to capture the same effect.

Thanks for any advice you beautifully cinematic people can speak my way.

Lanark.

Back