iMovie Blues

I'm doing a podcast assignment for school and the video portion of it HAS to be edited on iMovie. I'm about 2 hours into it and have been having thoughts of murder, assault, and a good mind to tell Steve Jobs exactly what I think of him. ;)

What a monumentally stupid way to edit video. That's all. I feel better now. :lol:

Could be worse, you could be stuck with Windows Movie Maker!

Has anybody used the new version of WMM? The one supplied with Windows 7? It's terrible! The version that came with XP/Vista was okay for some simple editing, but this new version... I guess it's supposed to be user friendly. It's not.

Vader, how will they know what NLE you've used? Couldn't you just tell a little white lie?

Has anybody used the new version of WMM? The one supplied with Windows 7? It's terrible! The version that came with XP/Vista was okay for some simple editing, but this new version... I guess it's supposed to be user friendly. It's not.

Vader, how will they know what NLE you've used? Couldn't you just tell a little white lie?

I thought of that. It would just have to be an m4v file, but I chickened out and started to think "How bad could it be?" The instructor took great pains to explain the rules had to be followed.

I just finished up. It was like using a rock for a hammer. :cool:

Was there any reasoning behind it having to be edited with iMovie? Or was it simply a case of "Because I said so, dammit!" ;)

Yes. It's a computer science class with people of various majors and, apparently, people from my major will use voodoo and Jedi mind tricks to our advantage in the assignment.

And no. I can see the point though, everybody has the same tools to build the house.

I hope this doesn't come up again, though.

Thats weird i have windows 7 and mine did not come with WMM. I use premeire any way im just saying :lol:

Should I ever find myself teaching a filmmaking class that is open to all students, I'm going to assign a lengthy written assignment, and I'm going to require that it's written entirely in Microsoft Notepad!

Thats weird i have windows 7 and mine did not come with WMM. I use premeire any way im just saying :lol:

Pretty sure Windows 7 don't come with one.... Though you can download one from the Microsoft website. (Edit: Don't know why anyone would want to)

All things aside, iMovie is still the best free video editing software in my opinion.

By the way, has anyone used the iMovie Pro Apple recently released? The one that got a really bad reputation? And here i thought it's a pretty awesome program for a consumer software. ;)

Best part about iMovie: you spend HOURS getting all the transitions absolutely perfect (which requires re-doing them over and over again because iMovie keeps changing things randomly when you make some other change), and then, for no possible known reason, iMovie only exports half of them. And you change things, and re-export, and it does it again, and you finally start an entirely new project and redo the whole f***ing thing and re-export again, and it includes the transitions it left out the last time, but leaves out a new set this time. And so you go look in the support forums and it becomes apparent that this just happens sometimes, and no one has any clue how to fix it. :grumpy:

(So glad I'm using Premiere now...)

Back