imac or macpro?

As a beginner in the film process and having some cash but not the amount required to do everything all at once, I have purchased a camera (XH a1)and am looking to build whatever is necessary to get the shots I would like ( Lights, dolly etc) but one very important area is still unclear to me....( Film editing). Based on what I have read and through conversations with friends who have some experience, I have chosen to use Final Cut Pro software...and hence my question....Would I be able to use this software with a juiced up IMAC or should I invest in an APPLE PRO? Is there any special graphics card that I should use? (NVIDIA Geoforce 8800 GT or ATI RADION 2600 XT)? What would be the amount of RAM required to run this program? Thanks for any input.

raindog

Do you think you're ever going to want an HD capture card, or any other special interface cards? If so, your only option is a MacPro.

I am editing on an iMac 2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo 2 with 4GB of RAM and a 20" screen. It performs very well, for my purposes, and I am using the same camera you have.

You really must consider how many SATA drives you want to have. The MacPro will let you install 4 SATA drives internally, which are much faster than Firewire 400 or 800 drives.

So, your considerations should be;
1) do you need more internal/fast storage
2) do you need more than 4GB of RAM
3) do you anticipate needing an expansion card (e.g. a Kona Card)

The iMac supports 2 simultaneous displays, has plenty of processing power for editing, has a video card that works fine with Motion, and supports enough RAM for doing any editing task I've ever needed to do.

Doug

Back