i'm contacting [potential] actors, ...now what?

Got my scripts, contacting potential actors both local and out of town (a few hrs drive). My question is what now in terms of contracts, how to (if even possible) make sure everybody shows up for the shoot, what it someone gets sick, etc.? If just one wannabe actor freaks out at the last minute and does not show on set that leaves me hanging; any ways to lessen that risk?

Also, just the other day I discovered someone wanting to help me in my home with filmmaking stuff had a 4 felony rap sheet, that was scary. Booted em, they won't be coming back. But I guess one should also do a background check on actors/crew, right? On that note it would make me quite nervous to have actors/crew with felony histories knowing and seeing all my expensive equipment. Time to inventory serial numbers and take photos of my stuff I guess. I actually knew that person had a felony history, but it was his wife that wanted to volunteer, then she shows up at my house with him saying they would both be coming each and every time; I thought his felony was when he was much younger, but it too me all of 10 minutes to find his criminal history online includine "assault with a deadly weapon with substantial bodily harm" just 8 months ago, also "receipt of stolen goods", etc.

Well I guess my main question is what should us noobs be doing once potential acting talent shows interest. I probably do not even know the questions to ask here. But the above comes to mind. Also what percentage of those expressing interest actually follow through and commit? Can I just pay cash on set and at the end of the shoot to avoid all sorts of bookkeeping hassles and social security numbers, I just hate accounting issues, or do short film indies even require getting an accountant, forms for the IRS (yuck)?

Where are you looking for your actors?

I have a couple of short stories that I will eventually want to turn into short films. The first place I intend to go is to the local little theater. Then the local colleges of which there are 2 around where I live.

With the little theaters, you will probably find that the actors are alittle more seasoned, with the colleges you will probably find alot of enthusiasm.

Are you doing casting calls? Good Grief! Where did you find a felon??? I think you are probably doing the right thing for the most part. You caught that guy. I don't know how realistic it is to back check everyone you audition. But they always say to trust your instincts. If something doesn't seem right, maybe it isn't.

But I do think you should do one thing: Be very careful with your equipment. I am kind of lucky in that the musicians understand equipment, and how important it is. In that respect we understand each other fully, they don't even mind if I put my stuff with theirs where it is safe.

-- spinner :cool:

Friends of friends, onemodelplace.com, local college theatre depts. That felon I sort of had known about, the husband of someone who wanted to volunteer helping me-- well she had told me he had a felon bg, former LA gang member, but I figured it might have been in his youth, and anyhow I was just going to deal with her volunteering to act or help out; then she shows up with him at my home unannounced, says he will be with her always when she comes to help. After they left I did the bg check and discovered he was more than a felon in his youth, he had a felony every few years, including one just last summer (assault with deadly weapon and causing substantial bodily harm)-- hasta la vista, will not talk to nor see either of them before. But I want to make sure no other felons or shady characters end up as actors or crew, like I said especially since they would be privilated to seeing lots of expensive equipment!

I found a great source (I think) for crew today-- baristas at the local starbucks--they are already screened for not being felons, they are used to being "on set" at 5am, make minimum wage or close to-- well at least for holding a boompole and reflector and helping to haul stuff one or two baristas on set should be fine.

Where are you looking for your actors?...

When I first started on my filmmaking endeavors many, many years ago, I'd watch the periodicals for casting calls at the local college theater and go watch the auditions. The production staff were friendly and receptive when I told them why I was there, and they let me sit and watch and even asked my opinion occasionally. It was fun and a great way to network. It also gave me something to break the ice when talking to potential talent: "Hey, I saw you audition..."

I will do the same when I get ready for outside talent in my projects. I'm still relying on who I know for now.

Great idea, thanks!

When I first started on my filmmaking endeavors many, many years ago, I'd watch the periodicals for casting calls at the local college theater and go watch the auditions. The production staff were friendly and receptive when I told them why I was there, and they let me sit and watch and even asked my opinion occasionally. It was fun and a great way to network. It also gave me something to break the ice when talking to potential talent: "Hey, I saw you audition..."

I will do the same when I get ready for outside talent in my projects. I'm still relying on who I know for now.

Back