If you keep trying and never give up are you guaranteed to make it?

do you think if you keep learning and keep filming every day or every weekend, that youll eventually make it and become successful or at least make a living? my brother and i chose to go straight into film school after highschool, so if we fail we'll be trapped with no jobs and probably be forced to join the army lol

Echoing what everyone else has said, there are no guarantees. Not everyone is a winner, and sometimes even the best fail at what they want to do. But it can be done. Never give up, never surrender!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fORG3YSfCzM
(I'll assume most folks get that reference, but if you don't, watch Galaxy Quest right now. I'll wait.)

Echoing what everyone else has said, there are no guarantees. Not everyone is a winner, and sometimes even the best fail at what they want to do. But it can be done. Never give up, never surrender!

Very true.

What you've said here reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-HUgzYPm9g

:yes::D

There's another question; do you want to be happy? Personal success - happiness - is much different than "public" success.

When I was a teen I wanted to be a rock star. Not an uncommon dream. I did have some real talent, so I figured that if I worked really hard I had a pretty good chance. I had the great fortune of one of my performances of being seen by John Hammond. (For those who don't know the name, he either discovered or had a major influence on the careers of Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Benny Goodman, Billie Holiday, Count Basie, Pete Seeger, Aretha Franklin, George Benson, and Stevie Ray Vaughan to name just a few.) It was my greater fortune to have a conversation with him the next day. And he told me one thing that changed my life; "You will never, ever in your wildest dreams ever become a rock star." I was, of course, absolutely crushed. However... "You are a very good keyboard player, a decent singer, and you do excellent arrangements." So I gave up my dream of being the guy standing on the front of the stage in the spotlight, but, following his advice, I worked hard at becoming a great "side man."

While pursuing my new career as a musical director I joined a rather notorious regional band. After I had been with them a few months I started being recognized when I went out shopping or to dinner and the like. It was fun at first but got to be a real PITA after a while. My next gig was with a famous oldies act. I had gotten there; I was playing famous venues with well-known band - and I didn't have to put up with hordes of admiring fans. I could pack up, collect my pay and start on my way home while the "stars" were still signing autographs. So I was successful, but, more important, I was happy.

I was very unhappy when arthritis curtailed my performing career. But when I went to get my Pro Tools certification one of my instructors suggested that I get into audio post. I really like the work, so I'm relatively happy so far, but hopefully I will take a couple of steps up.

So you need to decide if you want to be famous or just really good at what you do; because if you are talented, have decent people skills and work really hard the money will follow. You also need to know when to side step into another aspect of your skill set, like I did.

Enough rambling from grumpy old Uncle Bob.....

Good Luck!!!

Back