Ideas for short film!

Hey everybody! I'm back and although I haven't made that great short film I asked about a few months back, I have made a few videos since then that I have learned from. As some of you know I have made a Christmas short film, some liked it, others didn't but everyone agrees that I can improve.

For my next film I am planning on actually lighting my film, getting the best audio I can, writing a screenplay, putting more attention to detail and improving on everything I already a decent job at. I got a lot of advice, critiques, and tips from other filmmakers and non-filmmakers as well.

However my one main problem before I go out there and shoot is that I have no screenplay. I think it is possible for me to write one as I have written some screenplays before and stories as well. But I am stuck at finding a concept for my short film. I need a concept or idea for my short film in order to write the screenplay and that is where I need help.

If any of you have any ideas, I could sure use them. Also, if you have any tips to help me come up with a concept, that would be great as well! Thank you in advance and thanks to everyone who has been helping me learn the most I can about film since I've joined indietalk.

Read the day's headlines.
http://www.nytimes.com/most-popular-viewed

See if you can figure out a an unknown or edited out story behind or adjacent to the news writers and editors publish.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/18/nyregion/woman-burned-alive-in-brooklyn-elevator.html?_r=1
What was the victim's day like up until the incident?
How did the perpetrator become inspired to plot this?
What's the story inside the security booth in front of screens, helpless?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/17/s...-permafrost-fuels-climate-change-worries.html
What's the conversation between three scientists as they observe & record the bubbles?
How does the conversation go between two students, a teacher, and parents about "what this means"?
Does anything else bubble up from 30,000 year ago depths?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/18/us/politics/extension-of-payroll-tax-cut-passes-senate.html
A Republican & Democrat argue the benefits and shortcomings of the plan at the urinals in the men's room.
A business owner decides how to spend "found money" now that he/she doesn't have to spend it on taxes.
A federal public service worker cleans out his desk and locker due to reduced tax revenue causes the loss of his job. (Make him a Republican. Ha!)

You can do this all day long.
Throw in aliens, vampires, love interests, psychopaths, and transsexual midgets... I'm sorry "little people" if you want.
There's plenty of resource material all around us.

Here you can use mine if you want, will be cheap to make just need a teenaged chick (with dark hair - gothic chick) a father with tatto's and a smoking cigerette step mom, and a general girl with blond hair for debbie's frend who has a strange name for a girl axel

We se her wake up sweaty and disorientated, her grey sweater shirt from the night before, for which she has no recollection, she sits up on side of the bed wiping the sweat down the side of her arm. Her farther enters the room and addresses her

FATHER
What are you doing to your self.

DEBRA
Nothing. Not that you’d even care.

FATHER
We all care , but to long for you to even know

Her father walks of sipping the coffee in his hand , close up debra – adjusts her shoes with pain as she has a painful sor on the back of her heel as she adjusts it

DEBRA
Arr.

She gets up lights a smoke, chucks an old coat on from the dressing table around her grey singlent skirt and walks off screen

INT. LIVING ROOM

Debra walks into the scene with her skinny white legs tocking on her cigarette as her father and his step wife looks apon her

FATHER
So this is what you have become.

STEPMOM
I figured, told you so

FATHER
(to stepmom)
shut up!, she’s my daughter naught yours

STEPMOM
Yer right a real prodigy

FATHER
You know what she is if she wants to be

STEPMOTHER
(laughs) yer righ

Debbies father throws his coffee at the stepmother

FATHER
Yes she can be, and she is

STEPMOTHER
(surprised)
what the fuck

We see Debbie standing looking at her stepfather with a long blonde beard next to her stepmother that she hates

DEBBIE
Why do you stick up for me daddie

She throws her ciggerrete and goes to walk out the door

FATHER
Because no one else will

Debbie stands with the door open looking at the step mother stamping her hand on the table

DEBBIE
That’s right daddie there is no one

FATHER
I’m your father that’s somethign

DEBBIE
Yer your right daddie, that’s something

Debbie closes the door, as the stepmother throws the plate at the stepfather and gets up

STEPMOTHER
Why don’t you get rid of her

FATHER
I get rid of her no more than I get rid of you, even more so.

STEPMOTHER
Whats that suppose to mean

FATHER
It means I’m her father , you wouldn’t know what that means

We see the step mother go up and clean the broken dishes

STEP MOTHER
Well neither does she

FATHER
Yes she does, she just don’t know it yet,

EXT. OUTSIDE HOUSE

We see Debbie walking down the street then grab out her pack of ciggerettes and see she only has 3 left

DEBBIE
Shit.

Her close friend Axie comes up , shes a blonde cutie comes up beside her

AXIE
Hey can I have one

Debbie brings up the packet with her left hand

DEBBIE
Yer sure

Axie takes a smoke lites it up and looks at Debbie whos strutting her stuff in her normal way

AXIE
Hey, is everything okay

Debbie drags her packet of smokes away

DEBBIE
Yer, why would’nt it be

AXLE
(ignorant)
okay kewl

They continue to strut ther stuff as guys whistle ther way past them

AXLE
Axle you know if your sad about stuff you can tell me

DEBBIE
Just shut up

AXLE
Okay

We see them walk up to school as school boys past them on skate boards

i'll see if i finish it a bit now

as we see them walk down the path way , the camera follws them from behind debbie still smoking her cigerrette, guys footballers go past in ther truck with guys in the back calling out.

RANDOM FOOTBALL GUY
hey baby you want some

Debbie calls back

DEBBIE
oh yer baby

she gives the guys the finger

the guy gets annoyed on the back of the truck taps the back of the truck in annoyance

RANDOM GUY
Yer f you

we see debbie smile and strut her stuff with axle looking at her in queen like look

Debbie
yer not likely, like not ever

she takes a drag of her smoke, axel takes her arm

Axel
(to debbie)
There like the most popular guys in school

Debbie
maybe i don't like popular, maybe i dont like... perfect,

Axel
what are you talking about?

Debbie
don't worry about it you wouldn't understand

Axel
Are you okay?

debbie gets annoyed and throws her arm off axels clutch, and again drags her smoke which is already out

Debbie
I'm fn .. fine okay.. I'm just fine okay

Debbie throws her smoke into the bushes, we see close up the yard she throws it at has a neighbour , he has balk head with short hair sides mowing the lawn look up in annoyance at debbie. She does the finger to him as he shakes his head.

We see Debbie and axel arrive at the front of the school axel happy and joyous in her nature jogs of first.

Axel
Okay so i'll see you later, in class

Debbie stands with her hands on hips just annoyed with the day

Debbie
Yer what ever.

Axels confused

Axel
What

Debbie
I said i'll see you in there

she waves her hand in a moving motion to axel

Debbie
Go on now, go to your fun class

axel smiles and runs in

Axel
Okay kewl

Debbie
(to her self)
Looser

She then grabs out her pack of cigerettes and searches for her lighter but can't find it, the smokes already in her mouth

Debbie
what the f ... shit

she searches around then out of no were a male voice .

Danny
Hey

we see a hand come across the screen with a lit flame

Debbie looks at him he's cute with brown hair , she puts both her hands on his forarm to light her smoke

Debbie
thanks

She lights the smoke from his lit lighter, looks him up and down as she steps back
he's a sports jock wearing the same jerseys as the guys that hooted earlier.

Debbie
So what are you doing with a lighter, aint you suppose to be a sports jock..

Danny laughs and looks down, Debbie relizes oh what i just say

Debbie
Listen i'm sorry but..

She looks over his shoulder and see's the guys from the honking car walking across the loud laugh and wistle at girls

she turns her attention back to danny..

Debbie
I just thought

Danny interupts her as he knows she just seen the hooter guys

Danny
What I was part of them..

Debbie drops her head a bit

Danny
Yer i'm part of them.. but i'm not part of them, I like football

Debbie
well who doesn't

Danny
Well do you

Debbie, ahh yeah,

Danny well i never see you at practicse like the other

Debbie
What the cheerleader skanks

Danny laughs

Debbie,
nah i keep my cartwheels to myself,

Danny
Oh really,....

the other guys call out to him O.S

Random footballers call out to danny as they continue to stumble and laugh

RANDOM FOOTBALLERS
Hey...

Danny looks at debbie and smiles

Debbie stands and looks at him up and down smokin on her cigerette,

Danny
Well gues i better go

Debbie
Yer I guess

Danny walks towards the guys , the guys give deb bie the finger as she gives a smirk back

Debbie
(to her self)
assholes

she drags on her cigerrete but then the teacher walks past

debbie
(to herself)

shit

she throws the cig into nearby bush adusts her back and heads into the front of the school as the camera pans up to the blue sky and bell rings in the background

Thanks to both of you. rayw thanks for the tip it seems interesting and I will try it a few times. And thevision that's a good idea too if I can't come up with an idea on my own I will use yours.

Thank you both for your contributions, I will try my best to write a screenplay this week.

Back