• READ BEFORE POSTING!
    • If posting a video, please post HERE, unless it is a video as part of an advertisement and then post it in this section.
    • If replying to threads please remember this is the Promotion area and the person posting may not be open to feedback.

watch I'd love to get feedback on my film

Yeah, I've been thinking of removing the bird. I think I'll keep it in. I'm not trying to sell the project or anything, it was just done for fun. And I'm not always a fan of "the monster you don't see." I usually respect something like "The Giant Claw" (to keep with the bird analogy) than Blair Witch. I think there's a certain amount of respect for the film maker having tried instead of taking the easy way out.

That being said, I'll make no excuses for how bad my bird looked. But I'll keep it in because it was a (failed) experiment.

I thought it was alright :) Again, it felt like an episode of Goosebumps, because of the slightly non-serious presentation of all of it. The bird fit rather well.

What'd you guys think of the music, by the way?
I'm a University of Kansas alumn (Jayhawk) and if any of you are familiar with "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" you might hear it in the scene in which she runs from the bird.

Yeah, I've been thinking of removing the bird. I think I'll keep it in. I'm not trying to sell the project or anything, it was just done for fun. And I'm not always a fan of "the monster you don't see." I usually respect something like "The Giant Claw" (to keep with the bird analogy) than Blair Witch. I think there's a certain amount of respect for the film maker having tried instead of taking the easy way out.

That being said, I'll make no excuses for how bad my bird looked. But I'll keep it in because it was a (failed) experiment.

I agree with you, I am not a fan of blair witch either, thought it was a huge letdown, there probably are some situations where less is more but I think you need the bird in some form since it is central to the story.
I am working on a short that has a monster/creature in it and I am wrestling with the options from not at all to CGI. Was this your first stab at VFX or have you tried it before in the past?

This was well made. Was hoping the 2nd half of her in the woods was more about her heightened imagination running wild and not an actual bird, but that's just one viewer's opinion and would be my main quibble. The stop-motion FX really pulled me out of it, although I can see the reasoning behind including it and making it less scary for kids.

Great wardrobe on the girl.

Overall, nice short you got there!

I Think it's excellent

Except for some of the acting as a lot of people have pointed out. I can't exactly put my finger on it as to what is wrong, but they just seemed a little unnatural and discontinuous.

Discontinuous as in, i can't quite catch what the personality of each character are like. For example, the little girl, one moment, she seemed like the really defiant type, challenging her grandpa, then another, she is super easily scared, getting those big eyes before grandpa barely began his story, then she was scared again, but by the time she stole the egg, she didn't seem scared at all, more like a little special agent/treasure hunter/thrill seeking tomboy.

Other than the acting, i think everything else is great. Especially the bird Simply love seeing practical effects in a world where everyone wants to do CGI

I was really happy with the cinematography. Out of curiosity, what was it about the acting that you didn't like?

Honestly just a bit wooden, and the man did ham it up a bit at times. I've definitely seen worse, but it did somewhat pull me out of the experience though.

I like the cinematic(as many others) and have generally the same critique as mentioned over and over again. But I can say as much as I can forgive the most things like the actors not being oscar winning performance's. The thing I can't let go is the bird. Maybe I should say the large clumps of clay that destroy's the whole feeling of other being a high quality short.
No offence!
But great short and overall really enjoyed it! :)

I like the cinematic(as many others) and have generally the same critique as mentioned over and over again. But I can say as much as I can forgive the most things like the actors not being oscar winning performance's. The thing I can't let go is the bird. Maybe I should say the large clumps of clay that destroy's the whole feeling of other being a high quality short.
No offence!
But great short and overall really enjoyed it! :)

No offense taken! Thanks for the compliments and, more importantly, thanks for your criticisms. As I said before, I am not entirely happy with how the bird turned out. It was my first foray into stop motion animation and I obviously have a lot of room to improve (if I ever decided to go back down that avenue)

Back