• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I'd love feedback on 15 page script I'm producing in 5-6 months.

BURN VICTIMS - 2ND DRAFT

I wrote this as some sort of satire on how Australia sort of is... using a disgusting, contemporary poltical issue here to push the characters, setting and story forward. Something like that. It shouldn't matter anyway if I write this thing properly. To stand on it's own, ya know?

My friend is Directing this film, I'll be helping, learning how to produce with a PROPER producer and we'll have a crew of about 10 - 15 available to us... Which should only be necessary for one scene in particular. This opportunity was unexpected and very abrupt. I didn't expect to make anything like this so soon. I'm very much learning!

But anyway - this script. I've just finished the 2nd draft and I'm sort of happy with it at the moment (it feels weird).

I know parts of this will have screenwriting errors, but please feel free to tell me anything I'm doing that's just awful though.

What I'm really looking for is more feedback on how the characters are presented and how their stories unravel in the context of the setting, and what your thoughts on the setting are. I'd love to know if more subtle things I'm trying to articulate work or not. I'm trying a lot for a short film, possibly too much, but I think we'll be able to pull it off - It's good to try these things in art anyway. It's how things get done..

I just want to do my bit and make the screenplay as strong as possible! So again, even if you think you don't have much to say about it. It all gets into my head and helps as I try improve in my next draft!

Cheers.

Thank you heaps guys. I do/don't understand do/don't like it is blunt feedback but it's great, very telling, honest. Probably not a good consolation for time wasted reading but thanks again. :)

All good. There didn't seem to be an introduction, no conflict points to overcome and no resolution/twist. Maybe I just didn't get it, I'm not sure. To me it seemed just like life.

Didn't capture my attention. Didn't see any conflict and did not understand what the story is about. A family walking around and sleeping bored me. I started reading past V.O. because it bored me. Quit all together by 2nd page.

Sorry. Maybe it's not my type of a story.
Good luck!

Thanks for telling me your thoughts on it guys/gals. I've got a third draft up. I changed the introduction after looking at it, the dialogue is more explanatory in regards to the overall narrative and there is more to the visuals too.. A few scenes I changed up and I think I added a scene or two as well..

The dialogue mostly, but everything is trimmed down to what it basically needs to be now. If anyone who hasn't read it has anything to say or if anyone wants to even look again and tell me if it works any lots better/a bit better/worse/still shit that'd be swell! I have to work on the other pre-production things which will be such a pain but have a few weeks to make final changes next month. xx.

BURN VICTIMS - 3RD DRAFT

It's bad. Script and story. If this is a 3rd revision I would consider a major rewrite. It was very difficult to get past page 2 and 3.

The synopsis is, as far as I can tell:

Liz, a mother living in Sheringham with her son and husband, aids two "burn victims" (don't ask) at the behest of the entire town as well as her son and husband.

A few questions.

Why is this 13 year old talking like a 20 year old?
Why is half of the script written as Charlie's POV (And in his voice)?
Why are the Bogans using spears and why did they run away after the blast?
It's LATE AFTERNOON when they approach the Mersey, but Charlie's V.O. states that they came over just before lunch, is this a typo or it a reference to the 94?
Charlie looks up to his father yet clearly dislikes his obnoxious track suit and terrible cricket playing? I'm not even sure why this scene is included.

The only advice I would give you is to cut out the POV dialogue of Charlie and write it as you would normally write a script, it reads like a short story right now. And tell me what the hell is going on in the world at the start in a short synopsis or something. I only sort of understood it by about 3/4ths through. And having Liz walk away into darkness solves nothing and leaves me extremely confused as it seems she is the only character that changed and therefor who I would assume is the main character (Man vs Society).

Just from reading the first two pages I can see disaster on set, and this is something that is often overlooked. The script is confusing as to who is where, and I can see cast and crew standing around trying to sort it out. That means lost time - and money - actually filming this, even with a shot list. It's just a mess.

We'll just jump in ...

PAGE 1

1. EXT. BLACK LAND/BACKYARD. LATE MORNING

BLACK LAND gives me no visual, especially if it's a backyard - and assuming it is like most average backyards. By black do you mean color of the dirt? If so, that belongs in the text. Also, avoid exact times in your slugs - LATE MORNING. This should also be in the text. Like this ...

EXT. BACKYARD - DAY

Late-morning sun on blackened earth.

Next, maybe add something about the house this backyard is attached to. Your location scouts need this information.

EXT. BACKYARD - DAY

Middle-class suburban home. Late-morning sun on blackened earth.

Along those lines.

Next, you opened a whole story with a WE SEE ...

We see a family trudge along in sadness: a MAN, WOMAN (20 -40) and GIRL (11).

Seriously, lose the habit of WE SEE. I know it's in lots of produced scripts and used by 'known' writers, but I'm telling you, it's bad form, especially to open a script with it. Many will disagree, no doubt, and I really don't care. Even produced writers have bad habits.

Next, you have this family trudging along. It's a backyard, so how far can they trudge? Next you have two ages in parenthases. Are they his and hers respectively? If I were casting this, I'd be a little pissed. That and if either of the parents were in fact 20, then they had GIRL (11), when they were 9. Not unheard of, but not probable here. 20 is listed first, as is man, so, going back 11 years, do we have a 29-year-old woman and a 9-year-old boy in a relationship? Did I get this wrong?

Onward ...

Their skin is black from ash. Their eyes are red from smoke.

A child narrates slowly with a heavy rural Australian accent:CHARLIE (13). He’s from SHERINGHAM. We see Charlie and his mother LIZ (35 - 50) hanging clothes up in their backyard.

Arg. Don't tell us he's going to narrate, that will be obvious in the (V.O.). And how do we know - or even care - that he's from Sheringham? Is he wearing a tee that tells us? The audience won't have the script, so why put it in at all? All this 'junk' just slows a read and buries important information that will, as mentioned, cost a lot of time on set and pre-prod to dig out. If you're using someone else's money to do this, you need to respect every penny of it.

Next you have 'his mother'. Again, how will we know that just by looking at them? Could be his aunt, a neighbor or a stranger. Don't even put that in, and let action and dialogue work it out. Is it even important that it's his mother? Then you have Liz' age somewhere between 35 and 50. Seriously? That's a big spread. Granted some folks look great at 50, and some look like they are 50 when they are 35, but be realistic here. Just pick something in the middle that makes sense. Late 30s, early 40s can work.

Next you have 'their backyard.' Is this the same back yard as intro'd in the slug? I assume it is, so just tell us Liz hangs clothes. And, if there is so much ash around, why would she hang clothes out in it at all?

Okay, all things considered, maybe open this scene with Liz hanging clothes, Charlie is there, sees Man, Woman and Girl trudging across. This can lead into your VO. As it is, you are introducing two familes in the same action and this is just so time consuming to sort out, especially as written.

This ...

CHARLIE (V.O.)
SHERINGHAM is already full. Last thing we needed here was these fuckin’ Burn Victims.

Your VO eliminates the need for the 'A child narrates ...' No need to cap the location name, and no need to cap B and V. Also, Charlie doens't seem to be very compasionate. I guess we'll find out why later on. Oh, and just before his first dialogue, you can say he has the rural accent - assuming it is important to the script/story.

This ...

2. EXT. BURNT LAND/LOUNGE ROOM. AFTERNOON

Lounge room in a back yard? Do you mean like a sun deck or something? A porch?

Next, you jump from late morning to afternoon. That could be anywhere from an hour to 3 or 4, but the VO tells me this is continuous - or at least it reads that way to me. Here's a good example to leave that stuff off and just say DAY.

Next ...

The girl carries an old TOY, walking behind her parents.

Since you intro'd this girl as GIRL, that is her screenplay identity, so just say Girl. You don't say The Paul, so don't say The Girl either. You follow that with an ING verb, and a ref to parents. You did say 'a family trudges', but again, the audience won't have the script to follow along, so don't put this kind of clutter in the screenplay. These could be three people thrown together after a tragic event. Happens.

This ...

Charlie sits in his lounge room, reading an old CRICKET BOOK.[/I]

Is it Charlie's lounge room? Like a personal space? Losing me here. I think I'm still outside, no? So, while Liz hangs clothes - seemingly unaware of the the three trudging across the yard - Charlie has moved to some kind of porch to read and watch the three continue their journey. This must be a really big yard, but there is zero indication of that or the home it is attached to. I will have to assume this is a massive backyard, likely no fence or a neighbor nearby??

This ...

CHARLIE (V.O.)I know GOLCONDA - their home andshit burnt down.. But we shouldn’t be the ones that have to save ‘em.

Since you capped the other location, I will assume GOLCONDA is another. And I will assume everybody's home in that location burned (burnt) down.

This ...

3. EXT/INT. BURNT LAND/KITCHEN. DUSK

This is just bad. From the following text, I - again - assume Charlie is watching the family continue to trudge around the back yard via a kitchen window. Just put INT and tell us he's watching, unless you want to show both INT and EXT shots? The fact that you have Girl, Man and Woman talking, but no actual dialogue, I yet again assumed it was clear their jaws were moving, but we just can't hear what they are saying - because they are being watched from an interior location. That and it's now dusk. A lot of time has passed here. Are things that slow in Australia, at least in satire? You did say Charlie has a rural accent, so maybe this is the outback? Clean this up before cameras roll.

The girl talks to her toy. Her parents still ahead of her talk solemnly between them.

Again, call her Girl, not The girl. And stick with Man and Woman as intro'd. There is zero proof so far that they are the parents. And, since we cannot hear them, 'solemn' is a stretch.

Charlie sits between his mother Liz and his father BOB (40-60) eating DINNER.

Lose the mother and father refs. Again, no way to know that unless you make it know via action or dialogue - or signs. This could be an aunt and uncle. No need to cap DINNER here. And give BOB an age. Between 40 and 60 is just ridiculous.

This ...

CHARLIE (V.O.)Golconda is across the MERSEY Riverhere sorry. Heaps far away. Over the water and over the mountains.

No caps on the locations, especially in dialogue.

This ...

The man turns to the girl and repeats what he just said tothe woman.

What???? Okay, we are back outside, but we have no idea what The man said to The woman, so no idea what he is saying to The girl (please lose the THE in all these. Really sloppy writing). Okay, I'll make something up in my head and move on then?

I'm not trying to be sarcastic or cruel here, but there is just so much missing and assumed.

This ...

Bob asks Liz to pass him a dish of POTATOES. Liz scolds him.

Um, why not just put that in proper dialogue format - under character headings? And what exacly does Liz say to him, and why scold him for asking for the potatoes? Seems innocent enough.

CHARLIE (V.O.)People here have always been talkin’about how fire was gonna roar up there and melt everythin’, melt the mountains, the birds and everythin’else too, not just burn it.

Best dialogue so far. Punctuation needs attention, but the dialogue is somewhat intriguing.

Last edited:
When it got to the Charlie POV part I stopped reading - it was hard enough as it is...I think a script needs to be as easy on the brain as poss - what's in your head needs to be laid out vividly and simply.

I get the idea what you're going for is maybe a split screen thing at anyone time, like one image faded into another which is great, I can imagine it will look fantastic and very atmospheric - but you have to be clearer.

Overall, I like the originality, it feels real and atmospheric, plus the dialogue is not overused. I could imagine it as a dark animated short film. Keep working at it I think there's something there.

Not sure about the title though, it's too medical for such a surreal piece if you know what I mean. Just my 2p.

In response to A Whitmer: You're all mixed up but you demonstrate another error in this script that leads to more confusion.

From the start up until Charlie finds the burn victims in his shed it is 2 different scenes per scene. Charlies VO is constant but imagine one camera following the burn family and another camera on charlie's family. So the black land is just scorched earth they are walking on while charlie's mom is hanging clothes in a regular unburned backyard.

It crossed my mind with the / in the slugs, but with all the other issues I passed on it. Here's where a simple instruction like SPLIT SCREEN would have come in handy.

Yeah, I made it through page two and I am indeed all mixed up. I agree there are some interesting, ethereal elements here, but they're really lost with all the confusion. Do I dare dissect page 2?

NOTE FROM PAGE 1: 3. EXT/INT. BURNT LAND/KITCHEN. DUSK

It's this kind of mish-mash that throws things off. Maybe if it were EXT. BURNT LAND / INT. KITCHEN - DAY it would have been a little more clear. Or even better SPLIT SCREEN EXT. BURNT LAND / INT. KITCHEN - DAY.

And a little detail on where Liz was hanging the laundry, like manicured gardens or fresh-mowed grass. Anything that created a stark enough difference to lend even a clue.

a

Last edited:
Back