• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I would hate to get sued

So me and my buddy are currently working on writing a crime thriller and we often take breaks to watch Netflix. The other day while Exploring Netflix on one of our infamous procrastination attempts we stumble across the 1999 animated sieries batman beyond.Needless to say the kid in us came out and we watched the whole first season that day(Dnt worry we continued writing later that night) so stoked on how awesome that series was and a little upset that we hadn't thought to find it sooner considering how much We loved it as kids back then .well we got to thinking how utterly awesome a batman beyond live movie would be. Of course we were abruptly reminded that a handful of batman fans Don't like or care for the beyond universe or Terry Mcguinnes the newly appointed batman in that story arc (most don't think he earned the right to be batman) despite this grim realization we both decided to plunge into creating a bare bones outline of the movie. Essentially our inquiry is if we want to write a full length script would DC comics and WB sue the pants off us even if we somehow get the chance to present or send our script to Warner bros and aren't trying to independently produce it or make money off it . ? Do we have to get permission from those companies before even writing the script? I know this is a shot in the dark anyways but if we could pull off some amazing writing the concept is fresh for those who Don't know this side of batman and REfreshing for those that do.

TY for your input :cool:

No I think it is a good question. Clearly making a feature film on batman (or even possibly a short) that is well produced would be taken down by WB.

You ask a really good question which I would be interested in hearing. Writing about a copyrighted figure in the hopes of achieving permission to shoot from WB right?

Edit: oh Thankyou Indietalk for the every 30second post rule otherwise I would have double posted which is always awkward... Especially when you cant delete posts

Last edited:
No I think it is a good question. Clearly making a feature film on batman (or even possibly a short) that is well produced would be taken down by WB.

You ask a really good question which I would be interested in hearing. Writing about a copyrighted figure in the hopes of achieving permission to shoot from WB right?

Edit: oh Thankyou Indietalk for the every 30second post rule otherwise I would have double posted which is always awkward... Especially when you cant delete posts

Not that clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j7d3lIAkes

And many others on YouTube.

Essentially our inquiry is if we want to write a full length script would DC comics and WB sue the pants off us even if we somehow get the chance to present or send our script to Warner bros and aren't trying to independently produce it or make money off it . ?
No. You will not get sued. Warner will never even look at the script.

Many writers enjoy writing "fan" scripts and even making fan films.
If you are passionate about taking the time to write a script that
you can never sell, then it might be experience for you.

So me and my buddy are currently working on writing a crime thriller and we often take breaks to watch Netflix. The other day while Exploring Netflix on one of our infamous procrastination attempts we stumble across the 1999 animated sieries batman beyond.Needless to say the kid in us came out and we watched the whole first season that day(Dnt worry we continued writing later that night) so stoked on how awesome that series was and a little upset that we hadn't thought to find it sooner considering how much We loved it as kids back then .well we got to thinking how utterly awesome a batman beyond live movie would be. Of course we were abruptly reminded that a handful of batman fans Don't like or care for the beyond universe or Terry Mcguinnes the newly appointed batman in that story arc (most don't think he earned the right to be batman) despite this grim realization we both decided to plunge into creating a bare bones outline of the movie. Essentially our inquiry is if we want to write a full length script would DC comics and WB sue the pants off us even if we somehow get the chance to present or send our script to Warner bros and aren't trying to independently produce it or make money off it . ? Do we have to get permission from those companies before even writing the script? I know this is a shot in the dark anyways but if we could pull off some amazing writing the concept is fresh for those who Don't know this side of batman and REfreshing for those that do.

TY for your input :cool:

Actually. I know someone who did just this sort of thing (not Batman, but another well known property) and indeed sold the script. The Studio bought the script for a single element, which was eventually incorporated
into a script written by an SS writer (and a very recognizable seen), and although my friend signed an NDA and got no credit, he got paid five figures, and he ended up with an Agent.

No one was more shocked than I.

@MileCreations Yes you pretty much answered our question.As we thought creating a fan film with a copyrighted character could provoke DC to take it down. Although I'm seeing a bunch of marvel and DC fan films on youtube which boosted our confidence who knows how many times they were taken down if any at all. Our biggest hesitation with green lighting the project was If we put our money and energy into producing a film about a licensed character that we don't even own it just to have it exiled from the Internet.Most likely this is not worth it considering how complex and futuristic even for today the beyond universe would be to recreate it would surely take a pretty good size budget to even begin to get it off the ground.Perhaps a kick starter account isn't such a bad idea in this instance :hmm:

Ty everyone for your input it is greatly appreciated:cool:

Back