I need advice for YouTube

I am going to finally be putting my work online. I think it will hopefully help bring me some more permanent work and also serve as my resume reel.

I am looking at YouTube. It may have a lot of crap, but it seems to be stable, easier to use and send links to people. My issue with Vimeo is that I personally have never really been able to view anything there. So I think my choice is YouTube.

YouTube says your upload cannot be longer than 20 minutes. That's an issue when my docs go up to about 25 minutes. Plus, I may have a couple of short narrative films I would like to upload. What I can't seem to figure out is how people can get entire movies on YouTube when there is supposed to be a 10GB upload limit (I think it's 10).

Also, is there a way of putting your work in any particular order? Can you separate certain uploads into sections?

I already have a channel, does anyone have any advice on how to "tag" my uploads so that people can find them? I have a couple of things up already, but I don't think they are very easy to find. Should I have a few small tags or a lot of tags?

Any advice would be appreciated because there are some things I would love to have in place by the end of the month at least. I would like to be able to use my YouTube channel with my Linkedin and Facebook profiles.

Plus, I can also let my IndieTalk family see some of the work I've done :blush:

I know a lot of people use Vimeo. I don't know that much about it except what the site says. Should I consider using both sites? I really am a blank slate here, for both sites. I could use all the help I can get! So I'm asking people who have channels and have their work online what they know from their experiences.

Thanks!

-- spinner :cool:

Well let me first say the Vimeo may be "pricey", but it offers better quality of the videos you upload.

A way people put movies on youtube is that split it into sections ..example "The Walking dead S1 E1 PART1" and when you watch that, the recommended lists will usually bring up the next part of that episode example "the Walking Dead S1 E1 PART2"

For tagging videos. It is always good to put a nice amount of tags. Why? The more tags you add the more recognized your video becomes off of those tags. I usually put "kittens" or "Explosions" because popular searches have these tags. For each video you can make a separate "chapter" or "section" on your page. Example.. "Black and White Videos" or "Action Videos" or "Graphics and special effects". So yes you can separate certain uploads into sections. :)
Cheers!

You don't actually need to be a partner to get the limit removed. I've never signed up for partnership (although I have gotten the offer) and they still removed my limit.

I think you just need to have had your channel for a while and/or get a video or two with a lot of views and comments.

The 10gb limit can be gotten around by playing with your bitrate and compresion. Yeah, you're going to lose a little quality, but people are viewing this on Youtube, the difference is going to be practically invisible to the average Joe.

And to get around the limit, for now, just upload it in more than one part. Not much else you can do...

Thanks for all the help! :)

Actually, YouTube's new layout looks like it might be a good place for me to start uploading my projects.

-- spinner :cool:

Back