I have cut with Avid Xpress and FCP previously but it was a while ago-whats good now

I have used Avid (MCXpress/Xpress DV) and FCP but to cut documentaries (mainly < 10 minutes). That was a few years ago and I am going to get back into film making. My first instinct was to go to Avid Xpress DV (as I am PC based now) but I noticed Avid have discontinued it. It seems Avid Liquid is its replacement but I am not convinced it is the way to go. It was the keyboard short cuts/productivity and solid feel I liked with Avid and it looks like Liquid is just Pinnacle rebadged.

I have read some good things about Sony Vegas Video but have never used it. I may go for Avid Media Composer but it is a bit pricey.

Any advice appreciated.
Ben

Have you looked into Adobe Premiere Pro CS4? I use CS3 and I really like it, CS4 is even better from what I've heared and seen.

I suggest you just go to the websites for all the products and download the free Trial which usually runs for 15-30 days with all the features. That way you'll be able to decide which one suits you and your need the best.
Feature-wise they're all about the same so it's all about which one you personally like the best.

If you liked FINAL CUT PRO, ADOBE PREMIERE PRO (any of the CS versions) are incredibly similar. I use Avid Xpress Pro, but I prefer Premiere easily over it.

That's just my own personal preference....

Which felt the most comfortable to you? This is the only "real" argument I'll accept in the Which OS/Spreadsheet/Browser/NLE is best arguments. It all comes down to personal preferences as all of them can be made to interact with one another in varying degrees of simplicity.

If you own a PC, FCS may not be the way to go for you as you'll need to reinvest to make that move... same pro-FCS if you own a Mac. Who do you have to work with collaboratively? Will that impact your decision?

FCP and Avid both felt good

Not really much in it. Avid felt VERY solid and FCP had more effects (not that I use them much). What I was really wondering was if Vegas Video was worth looking at. I know I can download demo versions (of lots of different NLEs) but I really need weeks with them to formulate a proper opinion so I am trying to get a general idea from others (preferentially who have used avid or FCP and Vegas).

Vegas is a good program. They are ALL good programs. That's the rub. There's just little differences in workflow and where buttons are. There will ALWAYS be someone to say "I like THIS over THAT" and so there are people who like one over the other, but in the end, they are all about equal.

Do you prefer the Macintosh interface or the Windows interface? Are you a build it yourself PC person? Do you like the look of Apple hardware over random PC maker X?

From what I've gathered, Vegas has better built-in audio stuff, but Final cut comes with Soundtrack which is (IMHO) nearly as good as Protools (much better interface, but much more ram hungry).

FCS comes with motion and color, which is a huge benefit if you're looking to do alot of budget conscious effects and high end color correction (or want to be able to do so)... Apple moved alot of the cool features of Shake (high end compositing) into motion and they bought "Final touch HD" and released it for OMCheap (just like they did with Shake).

I'd say to anyone going with a MAC to go Final Cut Studio or Final Cut pro, no doubt. It's become an industry standard and worthy of the title.

If you're on a PC, the choices become much more varied and different.

I have used Avid (MCXpress/Xpress DV) and FCP but to cut documentaries (mainly < 10 minutes). That was a few years ago and I am going to get back into film making. My first instinct was to go to Avid Xpress DV (as I am PC based now) but I noticed Avid have discontinued it. It seems Avid Liquid is its replacement but I am not convinced it is the way to go.

Um, no...

Avid Media Composer replaced Xpress. I highly recommend it.

http://www.avid.com/products/Media-Composer-Software/index.asp

Back