• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

I have a question about using keyframes in Premiere Pro.

Basically for a video I am editing for someone, I want to to zoom on a still photograph, and I want the zoom to show on the video. I zoomed into the photograph, using keyframes, in the clip here:

https://youtu.be/TyzacPGWXdY

However, at the end of the zoom, the footage, jerks to the left. Basically I decided on where I want the position of the picture to be after the zoom is over. But I want the program to go to the left, gradually as it zooms naturally.

Instead the footage, corrects itself right after the zoom, and jerks to the left, at the last moment, rather than going to the left as it zooms, gradually.

I have tried troubleshooting this for hours, and cannot figure out the problem as it still jerks to the left after. I tried reapplying the keyframes again to a new copy of the footage, but it jerks again. Differently the second time around, but still jerks to the position, rather than move there naturally.

I also applied keyframes to the positional change as well, and not just to to scale. So can anyone tell me what the problem is? Thank you very much for the input. I really appreciate it.

You would scale in then set position points using keyframe in then out.. if anything else is wrong it's because you have other keyframes or other clips on top, it's a fairly simple and basic task, I suggest you delete all effects and start it again..

Okay thanks. I tried a few times now, and it's still the same thing. Basically when the video plays past the keyframe point, it resets to a previous position. When I put the keyframe point down, how do I get the video to STAY where it is, after I put the point down. I just need to get it to STAY, instead of resetting to a previous position, right after.

Last edited:
Extend the picture back out. You very likely have a lingering keyframe that's forcing it to move back to the unwanted position. If anything, just remove the picture and start from scratch.

What I normally do is go to any frame in the picture, keyframe both position and scale, go a few frames forward and re-scale/re-position where I want it to end, and then drag the keyframes to their desired positions.

you have other keyframes
This... or garbage in = garbage out (if the footage itself moves and causes this). Either way, it's operator error.

Basically when the video plays past the keyframe point, it resets to a previous position. When I put the keyframe point down, how do I get the video to STAY where it is, after I put the point down. I just need to get it to STAY, instead of resetting to a previous position, right after.
It's a simple fix. Delete keyframes that are causing the issues.

I'm going to regret this, but I suggest that you learn the basic principles of animation. It will improve the feel of your work when you're keyframing. While you're at it, spend some time learning keyframing techniques.

I figured out what I am doing wrong. For some reason, some of the key frames have a grey diamond behind them. I keep trying to do it again, but if it doesn't happen one way, it will happen another. What am I doing wrong that is causing those grey diamonds to be placed behind the keyframes, on the keyframe chart, if anyone knows?

Last edited:
I wouldn't do it at all. I don't know what comes after so I can't give you that answer.

Also. I just noticed you wanted it to be gradual. Extend the picture out, move the keyframes further out to the right, and then scrub the picture back.

The diamonds in the timeline of your effects window are the keyframes.
You probably adjusted the position after the zoom. When you adjust a position on a clip with keyframes in the 'position' properties: you create a keyframe with those properties if you are not right on an existing one.
You can 'zap' to the next or previous keyframe wirh the 2 arrows besides the little diamond: < <> >

To give you an idea of where you are: using keyframes was part of the first class about Premiere I ever attended.
It was totally clear in about 15 minutes of listening and trying.

Okay thanks.

I wouldn't do it at all. I don't know what comes after so I can't give you that answer.

Also. I just noticed you wanted it to be gradual. Extend the picture out, move the keyframes further out to the right, and then scrub the picture back.

But I thought this is what I did. When you say move the keyframes further out to the right, are you saying that I should spread them apart, cause the zoom is too fast?

Okay thanks. I tried that though at first already, but I felt the zoom looked too much like a 70s TV show, where they had those slow zooms back then. It just looked like that, and not in a good way. By having a quick fast zoom, I felt it doesn't give that type of feeling, since I already tried a slow one. But do you think the quick one looks worse, than that slow 70s style?

Back