I dream of documentary.

Hey there everyone, this is my first post. I used to be big on b&w photography throughout high school, I then stopped when I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I am now 24, no college(work night shift at hotel), and yes still have depression. I feel that I still have time start a dream I have, which is getting into documentary film making. I am a big fan of documentary films. I want to make films about depression, mental illness, societies dark secrets, fringe, and many other things. I say what the hell, you only live once. I have the ideas, and good composition skills from the photography. In winter semester, I'm registering for film making course in a local community college(sf bay area). I am going with mini dv format, it looks like a nice and convenient medium to use. Since I have some money I was thinking of purchasing Panasonic Pro AG-DVX100BP(S) 3-CCD MiniDV Proline Camcorder wi th 10x Optical Zoom as my first camera, coupled with one of those new apple imac computers for editing. Please tell me what you think about my choice of equipment. This is my chance to turn a new leaf, because whenever I do something that involves creativity, my depression lessens. thanks to all that reply with feedback

Sounds like some great equipment to start out. I would definitely suggest picking up some nice mics though. I'm kinda in the same boat you are in, except I don't have to deal with the depression. Good on you for that, I grew up with many people who suffered from depression and bipolar disorder so I now how hard it can be sometimes. Just keep on dreaming and get out there and record the world around you.

They always say to write what you know. I think if you follow through with what is in your head and heart you will do fine plus it will help you deal with depression. I went through a stage like that in my life and I understand how dark someones world can be...and I hated it when people would say 'just smile' geeze!

Anyway, facing what was eating me up was the biggest issue and it took several long years for it to fade away.

During that time I wrote fictional stories of charactors that were about to die. My gosh those stories were quite dark and I wont even look at them today. In fact, I don't even know if I still have them around.

So for one, you are going to be dealing with yourself by doing this and learning about who you really are. Second your heart would be in it. Its just a question of doing it and not talking about doing it.

Keep everyone updated.

Back