Hypercardioid/Cardioid Mic

Can someone recommend a quality ( hypercardioid or cardiod? ) mic that won't break the piggy bank. It will be used for interviews with Zoom H4n.

Are you looking for a mic exclusively for interviews or would you like it to also serve as a boomed mic for narrative work?

For an interview only handheld mic check out the Electro Voice RE50N/D-B, a micro budget ENG "standard". It will not work as a boomed mic.

BTW, to a guy like me $500 would be a "not break the piggy bank" price range, so a mic like the Audio Technica AT4053b would be my first recommendation for a general purpose hypercardioid. In the future please give your budget.

Last edited:
Are you looking for a mic exclusively for interviews or would you like it to also serve as a boomed mic for narrative work?

For an interview only handheld mic check out the Electro Voice RE50N/D-B, a micro budget ENG "standard". It will not work as a boomed mic.

BTW, to a guy like me $500 would be a "not break the piggy bank" price range, so a mic like the Audio Technica AT4053b would be my first recommendation for a general purpose hypercardioid. In the future please give your budget.

Yes, I would like for it to double as a boomed narrative mic as well.

Under $250

Thanks

Thanks, I really appreciate it. I have been reading for days on this stuff and still don't really understand it. I think for me it is going to be a lot of trial and error.

I realize that there is an art to sound recording and design. I will probably end up hiring someone to do the sound on my projects. I would still like to learn enough about it so I can become competent just in case I need to grab a quick interview here or there.

Once again... your input is appreciated.

I think Im getting Cardioid used inside where fairly quiet, you get a broader pickup pattern and little ambient noise, Hypercardioid outside or when you want to deflect ambient noise and hyper has a smaller pickup pattern.

Supercardioid is somewhere in between ??

Last edited:
You know, I've heard it both ways, hyper wider than super, super wider than hyper. And what one calls a hyper another calls a super. Add to that published polar patterns which are more an estimate rather than an individual microphone measurement and the only thing constant is that it's going to take some time and practice to become intimate with the polar and phase response of any microphone.

I think the key here is to get rid of the cancellation tube of the shotgun when capturing dialog where the walls are close. The problem is phasing, and how these side reflections interact with the signal coming into the front of the mic and and whacking the tone of the dialog.

Other than that, it's picking the pattern that best suits the situation.

Also, be aware that most hypers/supers have a rear lobe that may have a tendancy to grab some reflected sound off the ceiling. So not only to you have to pay attention to the head of the mic in relationship to the talent, but the rear of the mic as well because there some pickup going on back there.

I think Im getting Cardioid used inside where fairly quiet, you get a broader pickup pattern and little ambient noise, Hypercardioid outside or when you want to deflect ambient noise and hyper has a smaller pickup pattern.

Supercardioid is somewhere in between ??

Last edited:
Back