HVX200 vs HVX200A / HPX170

I've been looking around for a used HVX or HPX. For all the sales I've found there seems to be a pattern. All the prices are between $2200 - $3000. But the choice is usually between an original HVX200 with a good set of accessories (usually a couple P2 cards, 3 - 5 batteries, a random lens adapter of some sort, maybe a card reader) or an HVX200A/HPX170 but very few accessories, at best a single P2 card and maybe an extra battery.

I know the only real difference is that the 200A/170 have an extra half stop of light sensitivity. Since I've never used a real video camera before, I'm wondering which is the better deal?

Do I pay the same or a little more to get the better light sensitivity, or do I take a less sensitive camera with more accessories?

OK. Would you buy a 5D Mark II used? There's a guy selling a unit that he claims he never used still BNIB with a receipt from Best Buy, asking $1770.

Absolutely, just check it carefully, especially that the HDMI port works (they are delicate and easy to trash). I paid $2500 for my (new) MK2 a year ago. If you look around you might even find one in the $1400 to $1500 range. A lot dumped on the market as people upgraded to the MK3.

I meant "bowl head". I mean the way the head attaches to the sticks. Some are a plate with a bolt. That means to level you have to level the legs. A bowl head allows you to level the head independent of the sticks.

I would recommend the Manfrotto 504HD head/546B legs combo. I use an older version and it's been very dependable.

Well, I did it. I bought the Mark II, an extra battery, 16GB card, Canon 50mm f1.4 fixed prime lens and a UV filter to protect it. Came to $2450 tax incl. A sizeable chunk of change, but I think I did ok.

Still need a tripod, and I'm sure I'll want to pick up some more lenses, but at least I can start learning how to work the camera.

Well, I did it. I bought the Mark II, an extra battery, 16GB card, Canon 50mm f1.4 fixed prime lens and a UV filter to protect it. Came to $2450 tax incl. A sizeable chunk of change, but I think I did ok.

Still need a tripod, and I'm sure I'll want to pick up some more lenses, but at least I can start learning how to work the camera.

Congratulations, and welcome to the wonderful world of DSLR video!

To help you on your journey I offer these two words...

Magic Lantern. :D

Some people love ML, personally I don't use it. Don't need the audio features as we run separate audio and I use a monitor that has False Color and focus assist so nothing for me there either. When the 5D2 first came it didn't have 24 fps so Magic Lantern was critical for that, but they added it via OEM firmware a couple years ago.

Shane Hurlbut, ASC was in town on Saturday. He gave a 3hr presentation on film making with HDSLR. If I had any reservations before, he blew them out of the water. He showed how it's possible to work around rolling shutter and aliasing issues in almost all cases.

Beautiful shots of water that I thought for sure would be a mess of moire, but he made it look amazing.

I used to think of the form factor as a hindrance, but he really convinced me of the huge advantage of such a small camera. They jammed 5 people into a Prius and shot a dialogue scene while driving on Sunset Blvd, all without a permit because the car looked completely innocuous from the outside.

It's such a fun camera to use, and the Live View makes adjusting the white balance, shutter speed, aperture, etc so intuitive.

I'm so glad I took your advice!

Joined the site just to respond to this post... I know it is a few months old, but FWIW:

I have used all of the cameras mentioned, and I am familiar with a lot of the arguments for and against HDSLRs vs. traditional video cams. My advice is to consider if this is going to be your ONLY high quality camera. It is tough to take certain types of jobs with an HDSLR cam unless you have some type of rig, external monitor, etc. ... and then it is a monster to move, or blend in. On the other hand, if you are not interested in shooting live music, sporting events, or taking in a few wedding gigs; and ONLY want to shoot narrative, and commercial video, then the HDSLR offeres image that is extremely dynamic.
If you have only one camera to do anything that comes your way, I recommend the HVX200A. Despite what someone said above, I had three clients in 2012 that INSISTED on getting the raw footage on tape. This was a deal breaker. Those three clients were worth $5300.00 last year. Might not be a lot, but more than I want to ignore.
Don't buy the HVX200P if you can afford not to. Buy the HVX200A. The differences are significant as far as noise, and light sensitivity. The HVX200A is a camera that will be around for awhile. With a RedRock, Letus, or other quality, this camera will deliver outstanding footage, the 720p/60fps format is nice, and the multiple lower frame rates makes for excellent degrees of slow and fast motion.
But the real thing to consider is do you need features like four channels of audio, 2 XLR inputs, and component out (for field monitor).

Personally, my HVX works more than my 5Dmk2. But I love the lens ability of the 5Dmk2.
Let us know what you decide.

I don't get the whole DSLR movement for video. Isn't the form factor obstructive? You always have to dig through a bunch of menus instead of the button being right there. You need a special attachment for XLR.

I just have trouble accepting a DSLR which for my whole life meant still photo.

I'm also a still photographer, so using my 5D MkIII for video just means I don't have to get another camera.

Issues: form factor, menus, hacky third-party firmware to unlock special features, rolling shutter, lossy h.264 video codec.

Super awesome advantages: All that expensive glass I use in still photography? Yeah, I get to use all that when shooting video without having to shell out $16,000+ for an HD camera with removable lenses. My latest shoot utilized some rather happy glass in scenes lit entirely by candles (via 85mm f1.2, 50mm f1.4, etc...). The noise profiles of the 5D MkII/MkIII are phenomenal. Also: full 35mm sensor for a very pretty aesthetic. Cropped down to 2.40:1 it looks downright beautiful.

Hey, Escher, have you heard about the software upgrade that Canon says will be released in April that will give us 4:2:2 recording to external devices through the HDMI port on the 5D mk iii? http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/about_canon/newsroom?pageKeyCode=pressreldetail&docId=0901e024806daf9c
For those considering the 5D mk iii as an alternative to a proper video camera, this might make a difference. Sure you can shoot RAW with a BMCC, but the cost is high than some may realize once you kit that puppy out. The HVX200A is a kick ass camera, but I prefer a tapeless workflow.

Last edited:
Hey, Escher, have you heard about the software upgrade that Canon says will be released in April that will give us 4:2:2 recording to external devices through the HDMI port on the 5D mk iii?

sigh

Yes. I have. Which means if I either delay my feature or just fail to get into production like I've been doing for so long, I'm going to have to budget in an HDMI recorder system and possibly a bigger project drive. :(

Good thing I took that software job and have nearly zero financial responsibilities. :)

sigh

Yes. I have. Which means if I either delay my feature or just fail to get into production like I've been doing for so long, I'm going to have to budget in an HDMI recorder system and possibly a bigger project drive. :(

Good thing I took that software job and have nearly zero financial responsibilities. :)

Too bad I just bought a house. :lol: It won't stop me.

Back