HV30 vs Hacked Panisonic GH1

Ok so at the moment i have a canon hv30. I love it alot but the fact that you cant change lenses or get a shallow DOF is starting to get to me. Also the fact that it doesn't have that "Pro Look" so i wont be taken seriously. Ive seen test footage of the hacked GH1 and it gets ammazing quality HD video. The only think i dont know about is that it is a DSLR and i hear(i have never used one) that they get annoying to film with because of jello effect and the way you have to hold them. I also like the Hv30 better because it is an actual camcorder made for video. I was thinking about selling my hv30 and getting the GH1 and hacking it but i am not sure what to do. I wish their was somthing cheap, with interchangeable lenses, And that professional look! Any suggestions on what you guys think i should do?

Yea i cupple months back i was looking into 35mm adapters but they are sooo expensive. Also they degrade the picture quality and loose alot of light. Also i hear the static adapters are garbage and anything that vibrates/spins are from 300-1600 usd. I just dont think an adapter would be worth it for a hv30. Ok so say i spent 450 on my hv30. Now im spending another 300 for an adapter. Now im at 750. and a rail system another 150. So now im at 900. I feel like i should have just got a better camera from the start for 900 rather than all these attachments.... you know what i mean?

I have a Shrigg Rig and a Jag35 adapter that I used on my HF200. I just upgraded to a GH2 and have no more use for it. I'm going to ebay it if your interested.

Yea i cupple months back i was looking into 35mm adapters but they are sooo expensive. Also they degrade the picture quality and loose alot of light. Also i hear the static adapters are garbage and anything that vibrates/spins are from 300-1600 usd. I just dont think an adapter would be worth it for a hv30. Ok so say i spent 450 on my hv30. Now im spending another 300 for an adapter. Now im at 750. and a rail system another 150. So now im at 900. I feel like i should have just got a better camera from the start for 900 rather than all these attachments.... you know what i mean?

You'd be in the same boat for a GH1. (or any dslr) Similar price for the body, then you need to get lenses - but you'll want more than one and in matching sets if possible. Still need rails, extra weight and shoulder rig if you want to do any sort of handled work that isn't jello-cam city. Follow focus (opinions, including my own, vary on this bit) is another option item; HV30 with adapter or dslr you will likely want one.

Also, both cameras will want an audio solution of some sort as well as a solid set of tripod legs with a good fluid drag head. And then there is all the fun stuff - a slider, a set of mini--grip and suction mounts so you can do automotive shots, a little skater dolly, just about anything you can imagine.

Basically, you are always going to be looking at extra kit, regardless of your camera.

You want my advice? You already have a camera; instead of replacing it immediately and still being at square one, look at what your budget can allow that you can leverage as accessories on your next camera body and just shoot with what you have now.

You'd be in the same boat for a GH1. (or any dslr) Similar price for the body, then you need to get lenses - but you'll want more than one and in matching sets if possible. Still need rails, extra weight and shoulder rig if you want to do any sort of handled work that isn't jello-cam city. Follow focus (opinions, including my own, vary on this bit) is another option item; HV30 with adapter or dslr you will likely want one.

Also, both cameras will want an audio solution of some sort as well as a solid set of tripod legs with a good fluid drag head. And then there is all the fun stuff - a slider, a set of mini--grip and suction mounts so you can do automotive shots, a little skater dolly, just about anything you can imagine.

Basically, you are always going to be looking at extra kit, regardless of your camera.

You want my advice? You already have a camera; instead of replacing it immediately and still being at square one, look at what your budget can allow that you can leverage as accessories on your next camera body and just shoot with what you have now.

I guess im just going to stick with my hv30 and look for a cheap adapter.

Back