• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How's This Shaping Up?

Something is off, But I can't put my finger on it yet.

Here is a revised version with more effects.

http://vimeo.com/39483357 PW is mdmpllc

This revised version is most likely not in HD, but the original is.

I will most likely revise this clip again over the weekend and put up a new HD veresion next week.

Even though the final card looks nice, it doesn't fit the genre. I'm thinking I need something to transition from magic to science fiction with the card. Since this is pioneering new territory, this will require some though and ideas.

Last edited:
There's a typo on the second title frame, should be "then" instead of "than".

I agree that there's something that's not quite right about it, but can't put my finger on what it is. Hopefully someone else will come along with more specific feedback...

Yeah, the fonts are all over the place + their application is all over the place + the grammar has issues.

- Headline displays have all primary words capitalized, not sentences.
- Ellipsis are three dot/periods, not four, unless at the end of a sentence.
- It is a sentence, so it requires a period.

"In the beginning... there was the darkness."

You might want to consider centering the two lines, as well.

- Again, don't cap everything in the sentence, just proper nouns.
- Don't put commas where they don't belong.
- A proper sentence needs a period punctuation.
- Visually you'll want to maintain the consistent text style throughout any piece, limiting fonts and their applications to two.
- There's no need or benefit to using more than a single font here.
- Use the same font.
- Use the same point size.
- Maintain the same left/right/centered justification.
- Use the same color.
- Use the same drop shadow or other effect.

"Then the great mother Artemis created light."

- This is the big drama kicker.
- It's centered, so center everything prior to it and everything following it.
- Maintain that same font, regular or bold, color, effects, etc.
- This is not a sentence requiring no punctuation.
- I'd use the same font size, as well, since "LATER" alone carries no emphatic meaning beyond the obvious.

"14 billion years later"

Image-wise:
- IMO the red cloud segment goes on a bit long and could be trimmed.
- And there's some wackiness going on with the asteroids.

20120330IC2AsteroidParadox.png

Last edited:
Thank you. I'll have that fixed in next week's version.

Any ideas for the cards and fonts.

I'm thinking of throwing in some photos of have of statues of Artemis of Epherus and the great Temple of Artemis tas the Universe is evolving. The photos are Public Domain. So, there should not be a problem using them in the clip.

Thanks Ray.

I'm going to add in an extra card to present some of the many images from around the world of how Artemis is remembered.

I have a feeling something may turn up one day that connects Ancient Greece to Epherus as the source of their stories of the Amazons and their adoption of Artemis. Artemis is even remembered in the New Testiment of the Bible as Artemis of Epherus. Artemis is one of the oldest dieties on Planet Earth. The Amazons and their queen, Myrine is said to be the founders of Epherus in Turkey.

Last edited:
For ideas on typefaces on the look I need, I think these links may be more useful:
For display fonts, yes.

However, fonts for text to read longer than a title or headline they are not.

Typefaces can be divided between DISPLAY fonts and TEXT fonts. The former is appropriate for creating a visually arresting or memorable title or logo, the latter appropriate for anything longer than a blurb approaching a sentence fragment or more.

20120330MDMDisplayandTextTypefaces.png

It's because I'm at work and I have to type on my phone.

I'm creating a sort of mysteries of time and space of Artemis around the Universe like what we have with pyramids around the Earth. That's why I selected one of the oldest dieties of the ancient world as well who has survived lots of civilization on Earth. I'm also looking to connect this to Gordon Michael Scallon's ideas on Human origins where we are the descendents of the Lemurians. Lemurian existed before Atlantis and co-existed with Atlantsi. Lemuria is also said to be a society run by women. And, they came from 2 previous solar systems before landing on Mars before coming to Earth. This stuff just gives such great ideas for science fiction.

Back