How's the NT2 mic?

A guy wanting to get into sound, said he was interested in working with me and the cardioid he has is the NT-2. It that as good as say the AT-4053b, or acceptable?

Im sure alcove will come across this thread and i know he will be able to help you the best! :lol: But ive heard pretty good things about that mic...on the other hand i dont know much about audio.

From what I've heard, the Røde NT-2 is a great mic for the price, but it's simply not intended to be used in the same situations as the Audio-Technica AT4053b. It's like asking how a 14mm lens compares to a 200mm lens - comparing them would be pointless because they are not replacements for each other.

If you're referring to the NT-2A, it's a multi-pattern, large diaphram microphone. I own the NT-1A that I use in my project studio for recording vocals and voice-over. I would not even consider putting it on the end of a boom pole.

Here's the issues:

1. Although it's a selectable pattern microphone, the most narrow pattern is cardioid, rather than a hyper, making it susceptable to picking up far too much off axis sound.

2. It's heavy. I would not want to be wielding that thing on the end of a 10 or 12 foot boom.

3. It's a side address microphone, aiming it would be difficult at best, more like impossible.

3. As a large diaphram condenser, it's meant to be mounted stationary when in use. It is very susceptable to handling noise, and there is no easy way to provide it with wind protection. And yes, even indoors, mics are prone to wind noise when moving them rapidly from actor to actor.

Simply put, it's not the right tool for the job. I can use a really great, high quality wrench to hammer in nails, but it still won't do as good a job as good quality hammer.

What's the difference in situations that you're referring to, besides indoor recording?

Last edited:
arrow-up-1.jpg

What he said...

Yeah, did I miss something? I meant I could use a cardioid since the NTG-2 is a shotgun. I can't use an NT-2 cardioid though, if it's not as good as it's been said on here.

Last edited:
Back