• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How would you slow-mo this?

Hey kids!

Here's my dilemma: I got some super-cool footage with my GoPro Hero strapped to a crop duster. I shot it at 720p 60fps. The footage overall is remarkably shake-free. I need to slow it down quite a bit and make it smooth. FWIW: The plane was at most times traveling 140-150 MPH and very low to the ground. How do I get smooth shots without losing picture quality and artifacting that something like Twixtor could produce on such a fast moving shot?

I have Premiere Pro and After Effects as part of the CS6 package. I know I can simply cut the speed 50% but what if I want to go slower? I'm trying to avoid the stuttering effect of not enough frames for the speed I want.

Another part of the problem: There are only a few GoPro 720 60fps shots in the documentary I'm shooting. Everything else is DSLR 1080p 24fps. How should I integrate the GoPro 720p and DSLR 1080p shots together... What is the workflow?

Here is a link to the unaltered 60fps footage to give you an idea of what I'm working with. BTW, about 1:35 in, it gets pretty damn cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbM4WFoOI4I

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!!!

*EDIT* The footage is a little blurred. I must have messed up the export settings since I was in a rush..

Last edited:
Edit in a 24p timeline. It should slow the footage down. If you want super slow-mo after that, consider something like Twixtor.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll be sure to do the 24p timeline. The question is though, wouldn't Twixtor freak out with all of that ground movement at 150 MPH and warp and artifact like crazy?

Edit in a 24p timeline. It should slow the footage down. If you want super slow-mo after that, consider something like Twixtor.

That might be true in the editing software you use. But in Premiere, such is not the case. Premiere allows you to mix and match all sorts of footage, without it being altered. If you wanna slow it down, you need to do so yourself.

Texan, you can slow it down more than 50%, since you're working in 24FPS (24 is 40% of 60). There are a number of ways to slow it down in Premiere (all of which are easy). Although it's not the fastest, I personally tend to prefer the time-stretch tool, stretching the footage in the timeline. The reason I do it this way is because I often don't want a particular speed, but am instead more concerned with particular visual events lining up with particular sound-cues, and time-stretch is real convenient for that.

If you want it slower than 40%, I definitely don't advise doing so in Premiere. As mentioned before, there is always Twixtor. Depending on how much you want to slow it down, After Effects might actually be okay. After Effects can do the same thing as Twixtor, just not as well. Recently, I did some test footage, in which I shot at 60FPS, slowed-down to 24FPS in Premiere, exported and then slowed down an additional 50% in After Effects. It wasn't perfect, definitely noticed some weird artifacts, but nothing extreme. If you've got the software, might as well play with it, and if it doesn't get you what you need, then perhaps Twixtor would be a worthy investment.

I appreciate the input! I just fiddled around in after effects and used time remapping and I think it will work just fine. I definitely will get Twixtor in the future!

Back