• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How would I do this...

Hey I'm new to the forums.

I've just finished a short film script where, explanation aside everybody talks without making a sound, and it is simply subtitled, apart from one character who speaks audibly on a few occasions and one who speaks all the time.

Reasons for this aside, how would I go about indicating this in the script without noting it next to every bit of speech? I've read that for other languages you leave a note and then another when the subtitles end, but this is pretty much the whole script unless otherwise stated.

Any ideas?

My second question which I'll tag on is does anyone know of any free script programs that are any good for formatting screenplays? The word processor I'm using doesn't seem to be too hot when it comes to indenting dialogue properly, although I might be missing something.

Rankles said:
Hey I'm new to the forums.

I've just finished a short film script where, explanation aside everybody talks without making a sound, and it is simply subtitled, apart from one character who speaks audibly on a few occasions and one who speaks all the time.

Reasons for this aside, how would I go about indicating this in the script without noting it next to every bit of speech? I've read that for other languages you leave a note and then another when the subtitles end, but this is pretty much the whole script unless otherwise stated.

Any ideas?

My second question which I'll tag on is does anyone know of any free script programs that are any good for formatting screenplays? The word processor I'm using doesn't seem to be too hot when it comes to indenting dialogue properly, although I might be missing something.

I'll answer the easy one first... Go download the free CINERGY SCRIPT EDITOR. Its gaining more and more popularity here in the U.S. because of the rest of the software they sell...

As for subtitles...

The standard way is as follows:

1) Just as you outlined above

2) Or, if these characters are indeed speaking a different language, use a parenthetical under the character's name telling the reader what language that character is speaking in...

For example:

MICHAEL
(in Russian)
I really need that money back
you owe me.

The use of subtitles is ultimately the prerogative of the Director. If your screenplay contains elements like foreign language Dialogue, you may wish to indicate how this story information will be conveyed to the audience.

Write foreign language Dialogue in English with a parenthetical direction indicating that it will actually be spoken in another language. The use of subtitles can be conveyed either as a note in description or in parenthetical direction.

To create a sense of realism you may wish to include a sprinkling of foreign words in dialogue. The reader has to be able to understand what is going on in the story. Always write your screenplay in the language of the intended reader. Ensure every element of your screenplay is easy to read and understand.

Subtitles can also be used to convey dialogue expressed in sign language. Subtitles may be required when the sound quality of a film's dialogue is poor or when the participants speak with a strong accent or in a dialect which may be difficult for the audience to understand. In fiction movies, subtitles are occasionally used to convey other information, such as a character's inner thoughts. subtitles generally appear at the bottom of the screen so as not to disturb the integrity of film's images.

This sounds like it's possibly a shooting script so it's perfectly okay to make notes about subtitles in the direction/action paragraphs...

One other example that seems to be more like what you already know comes from the TRAINSPOTTING screenplay:

INT. CLUB - NIGHT

A mass of dancing bodies fills the floor. The music is very loud.

At the side of the dance floor sit Tommy and Spud. They look
rather gloomy. There is an empty seat beside each of them.
Spud is drinking heavily.

Tommy turns and speaks to Spud. His lips move but nothing is
audible. Spud is not ever aware that Tommy has spoken.

Tommy bellows in Spud's ear.

Tommy's words and all subsequent conversation in the dance
area of the club appear as subtitles, the character's
communications somewhere between speech and mime.

TOMMY
How's it going with Gail?

SPUD
No joy yet.

TOMMY
How long is it?

SPUD
Six weeks.

Hope that helps...

filmy

*NOTE: The above excerpt from the screenplay, TRAINSPOTTING is for educational purposes only.

^ That's a great example yeah.

I neglected to mention that so far I have left it as a paragraph before the first line is spoken saying that noone speaks audibly in the world of the story, yet everyone can understand each other fine' or something along those lines.

Should I add that subtitles will be used for all these parts? It's just I read here to avoid 'superfluous back story' etc, or is this acceptable when it's just a quick note crucial to the understanding of the plot?

Last edited:
Rankles said:
^ That's a great example yeah.

I neglected to mention that so far I have left it as a paragraph before the first line is spoken saying that noone speaks audibly in the world of the story, yet everyone can understand each other fine' or something along those lines.

Should I add that subtitles will be used for all these parts? It's just I read here to avoid 'superfluous back story' etc, or is this acceptable when it's just a quick note crucial to the understanding of the plot?

I would simply indicate the use of subtitles just like in the paragraph from TRAINSPOTTING except for the characters that don't need the subtitles... In other words, in a direction/action sentence/paragraph, tell us WHO will be speaking in subtitles only.

Then, let the characters that do not speak in subtitles, go ahead and speak...

Somewhere at the end of your script... Right when a character no longer speaks in subtitles, you may consider using the following secondary slug line:

END OF SUBTITLES

That way you give a reader a better sense of what they just read...

filmy

Alright cheers, thanks! There are maybe... 10 lines where people can actually be heard and most of those are the one who can always be heard, so I'll figure something out usuing what you told me.

Thanks!

EDIT - The Cynergy script editor really is an easy to use, powerful script editor.
I'd recommend it to anyone.

Last edited:
Back