• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How To?

C

cherubsher

My question is how does one who is not a writer (I am an actor) go about finding one to work/collaborate with? I have an idea for what could be made into a great film one day, but do not have the slightest clue on how to write in dialogue/screenplay form. Is there any websites whereby one can submit their ideas to potential writers and then conceivably work together on the project and both get credit? I do not necessarily want to get into taking courses and learn. I know that sounds lazy, but I really do need someone who is knowledgable on the process to work with. The story is on my personal past experiences and I am passionate about getting the story out there. My ideal dream is to work with someone who has the connections both as a writer of screenplays as well as the know how regarding the business of getting it produced. I know I am probably asking for too much seeing as I am sure there are many who have the "great idea" for a film, but I thought I could ask and see what kind of possible connections could be made. Thanks for any input.

This might help

Cherubsher:

Have you thought of contacting either Writer's Guild East or West -according to your geographic area? They may produce a list of accomplished writers that you can contact...(if I am WAY OFF please correct me.) :roll:

Really the chore is finding a writer who really knows what he/she is doing when it comes to writing a screenplay. As you may know, format is really important, and so is the dynamics involved. I personally do not blame you for not wanting to learn how to wear yet another hat.

I hope I've helped.... :D

John.

Cher- my suggestion would be to start by just writing free form (either long-hand or on word processor) the facts or impressions of those events. When you have accumulated enough notes (this could take quite some time) then you could find someone to help structure an outline or edit your notes for the most "workable" scenes for shooting. You don't necessarily have to write dialogue, however, at least then you would have some material to present to a collaborator.

If you can't find someone to work with, maybe you could use your notes as the basis for a "silent" film (possibly with music or sound fx).

Good luck, I'd be happy to discuss your ideas if you want to e-mail me.

Craig

cgproductions@hotmail.com

Re: How To

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
I have already been to the writers guild and from what I gather I do not qualify to become a member whereby I would d\gain access to their "list" of reputable writers. This membership is pretty expensive anyway. By the way, I am from the centre of Canada. So not exactly close to any major metropoliton areas. Thus my search thru the internet was born.
You know Ben Affleck and Matt Damon met, became friends and wrote an amazing story/screenplay (Goodwill Hunting) together. And look at them now? I know they were actors before, but the key here is that they collaberated together on something they believed in.
As far as the getting everything down in free form, I am doing that now and can already see in my minds eye the great scenes that could be put together to tell the story. It is quite amazing how I am getting more excited as I continue.
I honestly can see this as being one of the Best Origional Screenplays. I know I probably sound very naive, but passion has to count for something right? It's just the connections and know how I need to go with the passion.
I agree with you craig54, it does seem like it will take awhile as each time I sit down to write, I seem to have more and more than I origionally anticipated come out of me. I am sure alot will be edited, but boy oh boy, does it feel good. I guess, once I get it all down, then I go about trying to find someone to submit it too? What I worry about is how do I do this in such a way that my story is not pirated/and or stolen?
Thanks again guys
cherubsher

It's amazing how real it can become in your mind. The trick is, how do you translate it to the screen? Keep writing, even if only part of it works, it's still your idea.

Shoot it yourself on DV.

I have a great idea!

You really need to write it yourself.

As a pro writer, I'm not interested in other people's ideas - I have hundreds of my own. My ideas are personal, and I'm passionate about them... plus I have a pretty good notion of what will sell because I've sold about 25 scripts. So the idea of finding a writer to write *your* idea isn't going to work (unless you are paying them).

Once you write the script yourself, the odds are still about a million to one that it will ever end up on screen. There are writers with a couple of Oscars who only get about 25% of their stuff on screen. There are 50,000 scripts a year registered with the WGA and only about 250 films released to theaters. Of those 250, less than a third are original scripts (sequels, based on novels, comic books, video games, etc). Writing isn't the easy way in - it may be the most difficult.

Again - the way to get a script on screen is to do it yourself - make the movie. You can shoot digital vid inexpensively and end up with a DVD.

But all of that depends on how passionate you are about this project.

- Bill

Back