• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

how to write this scene properly?

Hi guys,
My name is Liron, I'm 22 (girl) from Israel originally, currently residing in London :)

I've recently started writing my first screenplay (using Cinergy) and after writing a 30-page long first draft I began my second draft...

Now I'm having a bit of a hard time writing a scene in which the main character, Melvin, is moving from one room to another quickly, just opening the lights in every room.

It's important to show he's actually moving through ALL rooms but he really does nothing except opening the lights.

So, the question is, of course, can I just write it under 'INT. MELVIN'S HOUSE' and then describe his actions there or do I need to do

INT. KITCHEN
Open lights

INT. BATHROOM...
etc.?!

That could be really annoying and take a lot of space :no:

Please help :)

In my opinion, it isn't necessary to write it the way you think it should be written.

INT. KITCHEN​
Melvin enters each room and switches on the lights.

That'd be fine, I think. That's a rough line but you get the idea. Even easier if you were to direct the film itself.

To me, the best way to accomplish this is through the use of subheadings as your character moves through the master location:

INT. MELVIN'S HOUSE - NIGHT

Melvin enters -- shuffles through the living room and into the

KITCHEN

flips on the lights -- does an about face -- turns down the

HALL

flipping on lights as he slides into the

BATHROOM

SMACKS the light switch from memory -- pivots back down the

HALL

flipping another light switch -- finally bouncing into his

BEDROOM

hitting the light switch -- flopping on the bed in one
fell swoop.

Something like that... Keep it interesting as he moves throughout the location.

filmy

Thanks guys :)

I went with FilmJumper's idea, as I'm not directing the film. This scene is, in fact, an OCD (Obsessive-Compulsive) ritual the character does everytime he gets home. I gave it a little bit of a description as an intro under the INT. MELVIN'S HOUSE heading as well :)

Back