How to storyboard when I can't even draw a straight line

Hi I can't draw to save my life, is there any software that I can use to do it or has anyone got any other tips. I have a ipad and a pc laptop. Thanks.

Who are you storyboarding for? If it's you who is going to direct it, and be using the storyboards, whatever you do is fine, as long as you understand it. As I understand it, you only need to be a good drawer if you actually want to be a storyboard artist (which is a profession). Even if you're working on something smaller, you can storyboard with a DP, and even if both of you cannot draw, you should both know what the storyboards mean from having done them together.

However, i hear google sketchup is a good software (never used it myself - i can't draw either)

Storyboarding, Schmoryschmoarding!

You don't need it, it's a waste of time. There are a multitude of reasons why storyboarding makes perfect sense for big-budget movies (particularly those with intricate action sequences). None of those reasons apply to you.

A detailed shot list -- that's far more important than some crappy drawings of things that you can totally just imagine in your head. :D

Storyboarding, Schmoryschmoarding!

You don't need it, it's a waste of time. There are a multitude of reasons why storyboarding makes perfect sense for big-budget movies (particularly those with intricate action sequences). None of those reasons apply to you.

A detailed shot list -- that's far more important than some crappy drawings of things that you can totally just imagine in your head. :D

eh, i hate drawing, and i really suck at it (this being my case in point - http://i.imgur.com/aw9np2e.jpg - in my defence, it was the worst i could find, i normally try a bit harder than this), but I find storyboarding helps me visualise what's going on, and when i already think i have a scene worked out in my head, it adds more stuff to it that I wouldn't have otherwise thought of. Shot lists are the same for me, but the two are interchangeable (at least for me).

Is that a person typing at a computer? Heh, if it works for you, then I'd be a jerk to tell you not to do it. :)

I have a strong preference for shot-lists because (among other reasons) they allow for flexibility on set. The type of shot is described, but there are many ways to accomplish that shot. I could have a storyboard, but it would likely not look ANYTHING like what I envisioned, once I'm on set. Whereas a simple description of the shot allows for me to SEE it when I get there. I don't think this is ideal, but for ultra-low-budget stuff, I think flexibility is good. :yes:

It is indeed, 10 points to you sir! Yeah, i'm not saying that people need to do it, and am generally in favour of people breaking free of convention (I didn't do it until my two most recent shorts, at which point i found it useful), it just seems to work for me.

And yeah, my storyboarding isn't proper storyboarding, it is more of a different way of writing a shot list. I generally end up with the same 'type' of shot that i have storyboarded, but will look pretty different. It just seems to work for me that way.

I believe there was a famous director who drew stick figures for his story board, honestly i agree with crackerfunk shot lists are better for small productions, unless of course you have someone who can draw then by all means utilise them.

people who draw manga are pretty quick at sketching out scenes if you can find one handy, they constantly draw in storyboard style so would pobably be your first port of call for no budget.

It is indeed, 10 points to you sir! Yeah, i'm not saying that people need to do it, and am generally in favour of people breaking free of convention (I didn't do it until my two most recent shorts, at which point i found it useful), it just seems to work for me.

And yeah, my storyboarding isn't proper storyboarding, it is more of a different way of writing a shot list. I generally end up with the same 'type' of shot that i have storyboarded, but will look pretty different. It just seems to work for me that way.

My last short(which was also my first lol) we did have a storyboard, but in the end we only used parts of it. As much as we planned once on set everything changed. We had to have a storyboard, shot list and script due to this being required for the university module. The short ended up different to all the paperwork because on the day I just went with gut instinct. I like to have to have options but a storyboard combined with a shot list is a great idea simply because I could roughly work it all out then it may have to sit on a shelf for six months. When I come back to it will jog my vodka addled memory.:D

Hi I can't draw to save my life, is there any software that I can use to do it or has anyone got any other tips. I have a ipad and a pc laptop. Thanks.

Here are a few tips I've picked up along the years. Some you may find helpful some you may find to be steaming skunk excrement (I have not spell checked this post so may the penguins in my keyboard have mercy on you):

You can use simple shapes such as circles, rectangles, etc. to represent characters and object. That is what I do when I have to storyboard very quickly. I don't focus on details. I look at the general composition, action, and any special lighting or effects. There may be as many written notes to the sides of the drawing as there are elements in the drawing if it is a complex composition or complex action.

Remember that storyboards are tools to help you make the final product.

It is okay to add words and description to a storyboard. Many templates have areas for putting notes. Don't be affraid to even wrtie character names on the characters.

Label and number your story boards and put scene numbers with the drawings. I don't always do this on small projects where it is obvious which scene is which. Like a current project where it is obvious the two penguins in a bath tub is not the same scene as the dragonfly landing on a fern (This makes sense in the context of the project I swear). If you have a lot of scenes or scenes that are similar in general compsotion make sure to label them.

Don't spend too much time on your boards. Many people get caught up in trying to have perfect boards and delay or never get to shooting.

Draw on standard size paper and scan in the drawings. Either combine them into a PDF or folder and have them available to anyone who may need them. A PDF is fairly handy.

Try using different colors, tints, or shades for varying levels of depth. This is helpful if you suck at drawing perspective. So for example everything that is blue is in the background. Green is the middle. Red is the foreground.

If doing the storyboard on a computer, add a color pallet next to the image to show the colors you want to use in the shot. You can even have several pallets such as one for each character's wardrobe and the background.

When in doubt Clip Art! Find some clip art and assemble it. Really any stock photos or images taken from the interwebs can work.

Grab any old still camera and go to your locations with stand ins and and shoot some photos. I worked on a feature where they did that instead of storyboards. The location scout, DP, and some of the producers went around to the locations taking photos to get ideas of how to do the shots. Then the DP printed off the photos they liked and put them in a photo album they brought on set. It worked out well. It also helped the director and AD make their shot lists.

-------------------------------

Software:

Any software you are comfortable with will do. I usually hand draw my story boards.
For storyboard specific software I know some people use one of the Power Production storyboard apps. I think it is Storyboard Quick. http://www.powerproduction.com/

For something web based and free you may want to look at http://www.storyboardthat.com/

If you are a little more hardcore and plan on doing more than storyboarding you should look at Poser. http://poser.smithmicro.com

You can learn draw :-p

A torso is a rectangle a face a square, circle, rectangle, triangle whatever.
Expression are smiley-style dots and lines.
Limbs are thick lines.

Tables, chair, tree, door can all be drawn simple.

Storyboarding helps me to see whether a scene can work. It's editing before shooting. :P

After all, it is a visual art ...

At some point, a film must move from written form to visual, and that's where the rubber meets the road; what the film will look like. The sooner I can get the scene out of my head, and into my eyes, the better. With pictures, I discover new ideas and pitfalls that I'd never considered in the past.

I'm a believer in storyboarding a scene and cutting it together in FCP. Through this process, I've scrutinized each angle and asked myself how I can make each shot 'special'. It's also allowed me to reduced the coverage I need, allowing extra time on the shots I need.

There are many ways to create a visual representation of your scene.
1) Fully-realized story boards. HERE are some of mine. Nothing special, but it gets the point across.
2) Stick figures.
3) Take digital photographs with stand-in actors.
4) Take digital photographs with Barbie & Ken dolls. I've pre-visualized several VFX scenes on large budget films with this technique. With a pocket digital camera, you can setup a shot, light it (if you wish), make changes and create huge camera moves; all on your living room floor.
5) Storyboarding software.

I put the software option on the bottom because these packages usually cost money, and take significant time to learn & master.

My point is that you don't need to be a professional illustrator to pre-visuallize your film. Imagining a shot is not seeing a shot.

Of course, there's no 'right' way to make a movie. My approach is only my approach. It works for me, and I suggest you give it try. Your results may vary. Results not typical of actual customers.

Last edited:
I worked in a feature where I translated the entire finale (VFX & action sequence) from boards into a video-matic (a video created with several figurines). I shot the whole thing in under two hours with my Canon Elph.

Although the video (and accompanying 'sound FX') resulted in huge laughs from anyone who saw it :blush:, the video nonetheless was used as the blueprint for shooting the finale for this 100m feature. Why? Because it turned an idea into a moving picture that everyone could relate to. It also provoked basic questions like "How on earth are we going to do that?".

Videomatics don't look cool but they are fun, easy, and they work.

Back