How to start?

phewww!
I had and have this passion of becoming a good director from years!!
Not that i want to do it solely for my earnings but its just my ambition.:yes:

I m 17 now, firstly i m gonna get graduated n be an engineer,so no financial problems there.

So i just want to ask how should i break-in in the filming industry as a director?
and wat about screenplays and background musics and editing??
How to do that?:hmm:

Should i go for graduation through a film institute first?:weird:

Everyone's path is a little different. I went to college, studied media fundamentals, got a job working with editing equipment, and am currently working on my second short film with not much more than a cheap camera and editing equipment.

Schooling is a great place to get your basics down, doing practical stuff to get the hands on experience IMO is a good start. I know one person who has spent about 7 years in 3 schools and now is set up with a small film company.

You might want to check out a short workshop for the basics. Then work through the basics until you get out of college. While in college, you might also want to take a few media classes... And of course, you should read tons and tons of books on the subject.

The things taught to you in a film school you can learn on your own easily from books. Film school itself is mainly used as a networking resource to make contacts in the industry.

If you're looking to get into the serious 'hollywood' industry world, unless you know someone very high up, you'll most likely start as a Production Assistant. They are glorified secretaries who should be in pretty good shape for running around, carrying things, and buying coffee. :)

Getting into any sort of director seat in hollywood is a long process unless you really bust in and make an impression, like Robert Rodriguez did with El Mariachi.

However, everyones path is different. If you feel like you want to go to film school and do that route, don't be discouraged by anything I say. Just be educated on the pros/cons, and what you'll really be getting out of the experience and money spent.

At this point, there's nothing stopping you from being a filmmaker. Don't think you have to work in some big industry position, or for a huge production company, to be a filmmaker.

The digital age has rocketed film making to the common man. With a handycam and some cheap editing software, anyone can be a director. Granted, you may not make something that will rival the looks of a professional shot film, but NOTHING substitutes for good story.

Consider this: How many pieces of crap have you seen put up in movie theaters that were shot in hollywood? Odds are, it's at least a huge handful within the past year, by your own opinion. No multi-million dollar budget would have made it any good. At the same time, I've seen amateur indie films shot on cheap equipment put on vimeo or youtube, and been enthralled.

In summation, assuming you bothered to read my big 'ol banter box... you can start directing right now! Pick up a camera, write some scripts, and start filming!

Go for it!

Back