How to solve the horizontal flicker?

Hi Guys!

I just recently bought canon 5dm2. Here's the situation i'm asking for help:

In a well lit room (fluorescent light) I was doing test rolls @25fps with 1/50 shutter. i know this is the correct theoretical ratio but i am getting horizontal lines/flickers on my display. Since the room is well lit, I used lower than 800 ISO and i made sure that my exposure triangle is just right.

When I lower my shutter to 1/40 the flicker stops and the display goes to normal but i dont feel comfortable with my shutter being @ 1/40 when i am shooting @ 25fps due to possible rolling shutter when i shoot.

Can anyone out there help me solve this problem? Should I stick to 1/40 even if i am @ 25fps? or is there a way to avoid the horizontal flicker while i stick to 25fps and 1/50 shutter?

Thanks. :)

The lights are using older ballasts that are too slow for your shutter speed. Common problem, newer ballasts solve this problem by increasing the frequency of the light flicker.

Hi Knightly,

So it's not a camera problem but it's just that the light source frequency (the fluorescent light) is too slow? I think it makes sense cos I dont see the same problem in other light source.

Thanks!

Shuttered

Hi Knightly,

So it's not a camera problem but it's just that the light source frequency (the fluorescent light) is too slow? I think it makes sense cos I dont see the same problem in other light source.

Thanks!

Shuttered

philip bloom covers this issue, its to do with the light frequency or something, if you google it you will see what hes talking about.

one of the weird but annoying things about the dslr world

It's not a problem of the DSLR world, it's a problem with the fluorescent world. More expensive fixtures eliminate the problem which happens on film film as well.

I think it's an electricity thing, 60hz. If you switch to 30fps or 60fps it may help under those fluorescent's with the old ballasts.
Oh wait... your not in the U.S. What power scheme is used in Perth?

i think we use 50Hz in aus. actually i am on oil rig offshore at work now and i was just practicing so this is not really my natural environment to shoot and i was only doing it in my room so i think im good.

can't wait to get back to land and shoot!

Back