How to solve image breakdown

I'm having a difficult time trying to get rid of compression artefacts, specifically in the shadow area.

Examples can be found below,

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kqtkgebqrik7j6k/AAAh2tbVJ93beWNg0HNQIgMua?dl=0

I was wondering what can be done to solve this?

For context:
the raw footage was shot on a Canon 60D at 720p and 60fps (conformed to 24fps) with VisionColor set as a picture profile, and colour graded in FilmConvert (standalone version). This is the "Original."

I brought the "Original" to Final Cut Express and exported it with these settings (for experimentation): h.264/1080p/180,000kbps. This is the "Exported."

Last edited:
Hardly, virtually all HDTV broadcast in Europe and North America is at 1080i (50 or 59.94 fields per sec).

The fun part is that you can send a progressive picture over a interlaced signal without problems.
Vice versa, displaying interlaced footage on progressive media (internet, computers) turns out terrible with ghosting and zigzags. Unless you cut vertical resolution in half.
Therefor I dare say that shooting interlaced is not the future at all.

Hardly, virtually all HDTV broadcast in Europe and North America is at 1080i (50 or 59.94 fields per sec).

But most people do, because 23.976fps is the standard frame rate for BluRay (North America and Europe) and for most online 1080p content.

Yes they do record at 23.976ps, that's the problem! Many/most DSLRs list 24fps but are actually recording 23.976fps. This will cause problems (and sound sync problems) when converting to 24fps.

I don't think I've never seen 30fps footage, I didn't even know there were any cameras out there capable of 30fps.

G

Check out the specs on the Canon HV30. It is marketed as a 30 fps camera. I have one of those cameras too.

Check out the specs on the Canon HV30. It is marketed as a 30 fps camera. I have one of those cameras too.

What it's marketed as is irrelevant! Unless the camera specifically has both a 30fps setting AND a 29.97fps then assume that a 30fps setting is actually 29.97. 30fps is pretty much useless because in NTSC countries video always runs at video speeds; 23.976, 29.97 or 59.94 fields. The original Canon 5D did, I believe, run at 30fps (rather than 29.97) but it's about the only exception I know of.

It's important as a filmmaker to understand these differences in frame rates and film/video speeds!

G

Back