• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

how to record sound?

i'm in the process of putting together my first short film (using a DV) and was wondering how do i record the sound? im not interested in dubbing or stem mic's ...so what are the other options available?

Last edited:
well thanks alot for the information

for a short would plugging the mic right into the camera be suitable (instead of using a laptop/preamp/mixer)?

i have soundforge so I can edit on that, is it pretty easy to blend the sounds together to make it sound natural?

Careful recording to the camera, you'll want to make sure you are on batteries, not plugged into the wall and if you have to cross power cables with your audio cables to cross them at 90 degrees to eliminate.

I do this and have to remove (inverse wave) a sound print of my camera (full spectrum hiss). I get the sound print by recording a minute of dead air to tape with no microphones connected at all.

Off Topic: If anyone knows why my XL1s is hissing, please PM me with a solution. Or if someone else has the same problem, maybe we could experiment to fix it.

Here are pictures of my blimp: cost less than $10.

http://www.yafiunderground.com/Blimp/

I just picked up an 12' aluminum painting boom pole for $15 at home depot. I will be removing the painting thread and adding a mic stand thread to it for connecting the blimp. a 25' extension for the mic cord and I'm good to go! I have a second 25' extension in case we need it. An adapter from mono to stereo as well. I'm also going to get a y-adapter and a second mic/boom setup so I can record two folks at once on the left and right tracks of my XL1s.

I'm so sorry strange m1nd, I didn't keep up with this thread. My boom pole is exactly like knightly's. :D

My hiss went away as soon as I paid for the best mic cord I could find. 25' of it and I was warned NOT to hook two together. Sound loss and all that technical stuff I don't fully understand. Just an FYI.

Don't forget a compressor limiter. Utilize the proximity effect (get it CLOSE to the talent) for a BEEFY sound. This might require hiding the mic behind a prop or something. Put the mic too far from talent and you'll pick up too much noise. Sometimes lavaliers are just the way to go. Often inexperienced boom ops will handle the boom roughly. It doesn't take hardly anything at all to cause a rumbling sound. Don't forget the wind screen for exteriors.

Back