• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

how to make your script 'solicited'

Majority of Production Companies that I've visited the Website off, have stated they won't accept any 'unsolicited' Scripts...How do you overcome this?

Thanks

You can send a query which consists of a logline and short background of yourself. Productions don't want scripts sent because it is a major legal headache. Yes, in fact, there are lots of scripts that share the same story idea. They have no wish to be accused of stealing an idea which they have already legitimately acquired. Get involved on sets. Often personal involvement builds connections that can lead to getting scripts read. If you have an agent (as a writer or actor), they can be very helpful. One good way of getting 'solicited' is to write and shoot a couple shorts with your friends. You can then include links to youtube, vimeo, etc. in your query letter. If you have credits to your name, it is easier to get a producer's attention. However, don't expect a storm of requests.

Another way to do it is to list a short on Inktip (can be done for free if under 40 pages). It will sometimes get you noticed. Sometimes the big script you want to sell is not the one you should lead with. If you can build a bit of reputation, you'll be able to get more requests. Good luck.

You need an agent or entertainment attorney who can submit on your behalf.

Guess what most agents and attorney's will say? NO UNSOLICITED SCREENPLAYS OR MOVIE IDEAS.

As has been stated, winning competitions gets invites. A friend of mine named Mickey Fisher did that, came in the top 10 of a sci fi competition and wound up making the CBS series EXTANT starring Halle Berry and exec produced by Spielberg.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVL7sf8s6VE

Yes and Mickey Fisher also had credits as writer, director and actor in two previous films "The King of Iron Town" and "Summer Nuts". Yes, I agree that winning or placing among the finalists will garner attention but I also know winners and finalists who have never had their films made. I'm not dismissing his accomplishment but want to underscore that there is no golden lottery ticket in this business.

Placing in competitions can be a great calling card. However, placing in competitions is very stiff and often expensive. Film credits give you significantly more credibility. And that experience also makes your writing much stronger. So like Mr. Fisher, go out and get involved and don't sit idly in a chair simply submitting to contests hoping to place. Working on movie sets is also rather fun!

I assume he means screenplay competitions judging by the original post. I've never entered a screenplay competition myself so I have no idea how easy/hard it is to be noticed. Getting noticed at a film festival with a short, I assume is a lot easier because the product is "finished".

Back