• Wondering which camera, gear, computer, or software to buy? Ask in our Gear Guide.

How to learn 35mm filmmaking for cheap?

I'm in High School. I understand that digital filmmaking is becoming very popular, and I absolutely intend to practice shot framing and composition with a digital camera. At some point in the near future though, I'd like to learn how to make 35mm films. I don't want to spend a hundred thousand dollars (and 4 years) going to college to learn. I don't have a whole lot of money. My questions are

- how can you learn 35mm filmmaking for cheap? (under $2,000). Are there any short workshops in California that supply this? The ones I've researched last months (which is difficult, because you'd have to take an extended vacation to access one in Los Angeles or another area far from you)

- do community/junior colleges have 35mm film equipment? I understand community/junior colleges don't have grade-A, industry standard equipment and huge facilities. But do they at least have decent equipment, and all the essentials?

- If I practice with 8mm first (a whole lot cheaper) would I "in theory" be learning the basics of how to handle any film, including 35mm

Thanks so much! I don't want to be a cinematographer, but I understand the importance of learning how to be technical (as a director and screenwriter). That way, you never have to be completely dependant on technical people. I'm looking for a fairly inexpensive, fast way to get a good grasp of the basics, and maybe even a little more. I understand that most film equipment is too costly for this type of beginner experimentation

Sooo what exactly do you want to learn? How to load and handle film? Or how to light?
It is quite confusing from your post.

35mm is never cheap. If you just want to gain some experience super 8 is your best start. But first tell us what exactly do you want to learn?

Sooo what exactly do you want to learn? How to load and handle film? Or how to light?
It is quite confusing from your post.

35mm is never cheap. If you just want to gain some experience super 8 is your best start. But first tell us what exactly do you want to learn?

That's the thing. I'm such a newbie, I'm not really sure! :rolleyes: All I know is that when I do get to work with an experienced cinematographer one day, I want to be able to communicate with them and give input. I don't want to look at a real, film camera and feel like I'm looking at a piece of alien machinery. I want to feel comfortable around lights, cameras, and all the doohickeys and thingamajiges in between. I know books are a great reference guide, but I feel like actually touching and feeling the equipment is the only way to 'really' learn

The chance of you working with 35mm are close to 0. So unless you want to learn film for the sake of film itself,start with super 8. Otherwise learning a digital camera makes much more sense. Unless you devote all your time to cinematography you won't ever reach a level of cinematographer. So learn perspective and field of view of various lenses,that will be much more than enough.

Oh and don't go and spend all your cash to gain the basics. You can easily learn them either online or from being on a set. Once you grasp the ABC's you will be much more qualified to make a good decision on what to learn

Try out the USC summer program. It's a bit of dough - but certainly a lot cheaper than a full-time 3-4 year program.

If you can stay with friends close by or commute that will save you some money too. They have some awesome programs that shoot on high-end digital as well as film.

I did the Cinematography intensive a few years ago, and there was a mix of people from high school age to mid-30s. Was an awesome 6 weeks, and I learned a lot.

Good advice from the folks above.

My warning is that filming, even DSLR filming can get expensive very quickly.

Even with just the basics, you'll need:
  1. camera
  2. a quality lens or ideally 2-3
  3. audio gear: mic, boom, cables, quality headphones to monitor etc
  4. quality tripod
  5. cables, batteries (x4)
  6. editing software
  7. computer for the editing
You'll find lots of gear advice here on IT. A lot of budget gear advice too.

I'd start initially by just watching DSLR film making videos on youtube.

Dave Dugdale has 100+ videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/drumat5280/videos

Lynda.com has some excellent DSLR film making courses.

http://www.lynda.com/

Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman have the 50+ section, 17 hours (!!!) DSLR Video tips course - which is excellent, covers all the core things you need to know:

http://www.lynda.com/Final-Cut-Pro-tutorials/DSLR-Video-Tips-Trailer/103707/142188-4.html

Just join for a month, watch the whole course (and the other DSLR courses) then cancel. Will cost $40 or so.

Lynda.com also has an excellent screenwriting course. The author is a member here on IT.

Last edited:
At some point in the near future though, I'd like to learn how to make 35mm films. I don't want to spend a hundred thousand dollars (and 4 years) going to college to learn.

In all likelihood, the first thing you're going to need to make 35mm films in a few years time is a substantial budget to build yourself: 1. A 35mm film manufacturing plant and 2. A cinema with a 35mm film projector!

This may sound a little extreme but it's already happening and has been for several years:

1. Roughly 90% of cinemas in the US are now digital projection, nearly 100% in the UK and everywhere else 35mm film projection is being phased out as all new cinemas and multiplexes only have digital projectors.

2. Paramount have announced it will no longer distribute 35mm film and the other studios are all expected to follow suit by the end of the year.

3. I don't know what percentage of films are made with 35mm film but I would imagine it's already a very small minority.

4. Because demand has drastically reduced, the 35mm film manufacturers have simply got out of the business. The only one still making 35mm film as far as I know is Kodak and they've already closed or are closing many of their 35mm film manufacturing plants. Within a couple of years or so 35mm film either won't be available at all (at any price) or will be such an expensive speciality item that virtually no directors in the world will be able to afford to use it.

Adding all this up, I'm not sure if I were you, how much time and effort it would be worth investing in learning about 35mm film, except maybe in terms of how it might inform your use of digital technology.

G

Kodak, for now, are still making film.

Realistically, all films are scanned or telecined in for a DI process these days, and have for quite a number of years.

There are still a few labs open.

But it will still easily cost you $600-$1000 per roll of film to cover the cost of the roll, processing and Arriscan or telecine, as well as camera and lens rental.
One roll = 4 minutes of screen time.

Probably a bit cheaper if you shoot on short ends.

Realistically, on a larger budget film is not more expensive than digital really. On a small budget, however, the cost of film really adds up quickly.

AudioPostExper said:
3. I don't know what percentage of films are made with 35mm film but I would imagine it's already a very small minority.
You might be surprised to find the number of films still shooting solely on film, or at least parts on film.

It is a much smaller minority, even in comparison to only 5 years ago. But, there are still a lot of films deciding to shoot with it.

Back