How to find work?

Hi, Im a swedish composer who's looking for a break. I've recently decided to cut my daytime job into a half time to put some serious effort into my music. I was wondering if any of you guys could give me some advoce on how to go about things. I've thought about musiclibraries, but thats not really how I'd like to work. In fact, the only way I can work is by putting alot of my soul into every song. I've tried to massproduce, but It just doesn't suit me. How do I get in touch with filmmakers and what is a good way to get attension? From what I've read I understand that a big issue with composers is that they dont follow through. Is this true? Anyway, I would appreciate any advice i could get.

Thanks!

It's like with any business: nobody finds you if you are invisible.
In that aspect you made a first step by announcing what you are looking for :)

Another thing is that people tend to work with people. Sounds obvious, but it means that most people won't hire a total stranger. So try to connect with people. All kinds of people to get momentum and to get the word out.

And at least have something people can listen to. Your finest and best work. Make people think: wow, that is so great! I need that composer!

You have to be your own marketeer, at least until other are such great fans they will do the marketing for you :)

BTW, do you know The Musicbed?
It is a site the licenses music, but it has a less mass produced feel. It is also more expensive, which also means you'll be paid better :)

Hey Walter!

Thanks for helping me out here! That site looks very interesting and I've sent them an email. Im also checking out Crucial Music. From what I hear they are great if you manage to get in. Other then that Im hanging around in forums like this trying to get in touch with film makers. Thanks for checking out my music and Im glad you liked it!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

From what I've read I understand that a big issue with composers is that they dont follow through. Is this true?

In my experience, not really. It'll occasionally happen, but it's not the norm.

How do I get in touch with filmmakers and what is a good way to get attension?

By communicating with them. Foster relationships, especially those who have given you work in the past.

It's easy to get their attention. To hold it, will take talent, persistence and timing. Be exactly what a director needs you to be. Be good at what you do. Be better than any other option. Also, be easy to work with.

Thanks for your input! Sounds like good advice. I always try to be responsive and I work hard to be able to present top quallity stuff in time. Unfortunately for me most of the projects I've gotten in to have failed to become finished products so I dont have a lot to show for it. But the people I've worked with has been ecstatic with what I have delivered so thats gotta count for something, right? :)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

But the people I've worked with has been ecstatic with what I have delivered so thats gotta count for something, right? :)

It does count for something.

It might be time to develop the skills to help you avoid projects that get abandoned.

Back